Mean-Risk Analysis: An Introduction
Risk is a term commonly used in business. In a supply chain, risk is associated with the decision making problems whenever there exist uncertain outcomes and some of the outcomes are unfavorable (Lowrance 1976; Haimes 2004; Tuncel and Alpan 2010). There are different perspectives of supply chain risk analysis and management (Tang 2006; Sodhi et al. 2012). One of these perspectives focuses on examining the supply chain disruption risk which is defined as the supply chain risk associated with anthropogenic or natural disruptions such as earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorist attacks, big storms, economic crises, diseases, etc. Another perspective links risk in the supply chain with some “normal uncertainties” such as demand volatility, supply uncertainty, and cost–revenue variation; this kind of risk is termed as the supply chain operational risk, and it is the major area of supply chain risk that we examine in this book.
KeywordsSupply Chain Risk Aversion Expected Profit Supply Chain Coordination Supply Chain Risk
- Agrawal, V., & Seshadri, S. (2000). Risk intermediation in supply chains. IIE Transactions, 32, 819–831.Google Scholar
- Boyabath, O., & Toktay L. B. (2004). Operational hedging: A review with extensions. Working paper, INSEAD.Google Scholar
- Chen, F., & Federgruen, A. (2000). Mean-variance analysis of basic inventory models. Working paper, Columbia University.Google Scholar
- Chiu, C. H., Choi, T. M., Hao, G., & Li, X. (2012a). Coordinating supply chains with a global-brand and multiple risk-averse retailers. Working paper, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.Google Scholar
- Chiu, C. H., Zheng, J., & Choi, T. M. (2011c). Optimal pricing and inventory decisions for fashion retailers under value-at-risk objective: Applications and review. In T.M. Choi (Ed.), Fashion supply chain management: Industry and business analysis (pp. 100–109). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Choi, T. M., Li, D., & Yan, H. (1999). Newsvendor problem with the safety-first objective. Working paper, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.Google Scholar
- Choi, T. M., Li, D., & Yan, H. (2001). Newsvendor problem with mean-variance objectives. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Optimization: Techniques and Applications (Vol. 4, pp. 1860–1867).Google Scholar
- Choi, T. M., Liu, N., Ng, F., & Yuen, M. (2012). Mean-risk analysis of fashion mass customization programme with demand-return correlation. Working paper, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.Google Scholar
- Hung, Y. H., Li, L. Y. O., & Cheng, T. C. E. (2011). Transfer of newsvendor inventory and supply risks to sub-industry and the public by financial instruments. International Journal of Production Economics, in press.Google Scholar
- Ingersoll, J. C. (1987). Theory of financial decision making. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littefield Publishers.Google Scholar
- Jammernegg, W., & Kischka, P. (2012). Newsvendor problems with VaR and CVaR consideration. In T.M. Choi (Ed.), Handbook on newsvendor problems: Models, Extensions and Applications. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lau, H. S. (1980). The newsboy problem under alternative optimization objectives. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 31, 525–535.Google Scholar
- Levy, H., & Markowitz, H. M. (1979). Approximated expected utility by a function of mean and variance. American Economics Review, 69, 308–317.Google Scholar
- Liu, N., Choi, T. M., Yuen, M. C. W., & Ng, F. (2011). Optimal pricing, modularity and return policy under mass customization. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A. doi: 10.1109/TSMCA.2011.2170063. published online.
- Lowrance, W. W. (1976). Of acceptable risk. Los Altos, CA: William Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- Ma, L., Liu, F., Li, S., & Yan, H. (2010). Channel bargaining with risk-averse retailer. International Journal of Production Economics, in press http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.08.016.
- Markowitz, H. M. (1959). Portfolio selection: Efficient diversification of investment. New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Shen, B., Choi, T. M., Wang, Y., & Lo, C. K. Y. (2012). Coordination of fashion supply chains with risk averse supplier by markdown money policy. Working paper, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.Google Scholar
- Shi, C. V., & Guo, L. (2012). Profit target setting for multiple divisions: A newsvendor perspective. In T.M. Choi (Ed.), Handbook on newsvendor problems: Models, extensions and applications. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Zsidisin, G. A., & Ritchie, B. (2008). Supply chain risk. New York: Springer.Google Scholar