Improvement of system stability margins using coordination control of Static Var Compensator (SVC) and Thyristor Controlled Series Capacitor (TCSC)
The Thyristor Controlled Series Compensator (TCSC) and Static Var Compensator (SVC) are variable impedance Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS) Controllers. A combination of the TCSC and the SVC installation is proposed to acquire superior performance for the power system. The coordination between the two pieces of equipment is designed with the SVC treated as the supplement of the TCSC. When operation of the TCSC is constrained by the inherent limitation of equipment, such as due to the firing-angle limitation of the thyristors, the adjustable SVC can supply the auxiliary support to improve the overall performance. The voltage and angle stability margins can be greatly improved with the compatible control schemes of the TCSC and the SVC.
KeywordsTCSC SVC Co-ordination control of SVC and TCSC Design of small scale TCSC model Variable impedance FACTS controllers Single machine two bus system Voltage stability P–V curves and P-δ curves
We are immensely thankful to Management and Principal of VNR VJIET for providing R&D lab and other facilities to carryout this work.
- 1.Hingorani NG, Gyugyi L (1999) Understanding FACTS. IEEE Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Mathur RM, Varma RK (2002) Thyristor-based FACTS controllers for Electrical transmission systems. IEEE Press and Wiley Interscience, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.IEEE Power Engg. (1995) Society/CIGRE, “FACTS overview”, Publication 95 TP 108. IEEE Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kundur P (1994) Power system stability and control. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.IEEE Power Engineering Society (1996) “FACTS applications”, Publication 96 TP 116-0. IEEE Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lyon WA (1954) Transient analysis of alternating current machinaery, chapter 2. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Noroozian N, Ghandari M (1997) Improving power system dynamics by series connected FACTS devices. IEEE Trans Power Deliv 12(4):1635–1641Google Scholar
- 8.Yarlagadda V, Rao KRM, Sankar Ram BV (2011) Hardware circuit implementation of automatic control of static var compensator (SVC) using micro controller. IJICA 1(2)Google Scholar
- 9.Yarlagadda V, Rao KRM, Sankar Ram BV (2012) Power system generator and voltage stability enhancement by the hardware circuit implementation of 3-Ph static var compensator (SVC). In: CCPE, 27th and 28th April 2012Google Scholar
- 10.Venu Yarlagadda, Rao KRM, Sai Saroja P, Avinash P, Nikilesh P (2012) Dynamic stability improvement with combined fast acting automatic voltage regulator (AVR) and automatic load frequency control (ALFC) loops. In: ICMAET, 1st Jan 2012Google Scholar
- 11.Yarlagadda V, Rao KRM, Sankar Ram BV (2012) Voltage stability improvement using thyristor controlled series capacitor (TCSC) using Lmn and VCPI stability indices. IJSER 3(4)Google Scholar