Health Care Reform in the United States
The previous chapters of the book have identified the major factors that influence the health-care delivery and policy-making systems. The impacts of environmental factors on the health-care system have been both positive and negative. On the one hand, the United States is foremost in the world in the development and deployment of advanced medical technologies and equipment. Furthermore, the standards adopted by the nation’s medical schools and health facilities far surpass, or are comparable to, those of other advanced countries.
KeywordsHealth Care Reform Federal Poverty Level Health Security Obama Administration Reform Plan
- Altmeyer, A.J. 1968. The Formative Years of Social Security. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar
- Blum, J. 1967. From the Morgenthau Diaries: Years of War, 1941-1945. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.Google Scholar
- Brodie, M., and R.J. Blendon. 1995. “The Public’s Contribution to Congressional Gridlock on Health Care Reform.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 20(2) (Summer): 403–410.Google Scholar
- Cauchi, R. 2011. “State Legislation and Actions Challenging Certain Health Care Reforms, 2011. (Updated: September 29, 2011).” Washington, DC: National Conference of State Legislatures, from http://www.ncsl.org/?tabid=18906.
- Congressional Budget Office (CBO). “H.R. 4872, Reconciliation Act of 2010 (Final Health Care Legislation),” March 20, 2010, 1–17 and Tables 1–7.Google Scholar
- Davis, K., G.F. Anderson, D. Rowland, and E. Steinberg. 1990. Health Care Cost Containment. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Dukakis, M.S., and C. Roseman. 1992. “Learning from the Aloha State.” Journal of American Health Policy 2(1) (January/February): 11–14.Google Scholar
- Goodman, J. 2010. “The Most Important Feature of ObamaCare is Something No One is Talking About.” National Center for Policy Analysis. John Goodman’s Health Policy Blog, from http://healthblog.ncpa.org/?s=The+most+important+feature+of+Obamacare+is+%26x=11%26;y=….
- Guterman, S., K. Davis, and K. Stremikis. 2010. “Issue Brief: How Health Reform Legislation Will Affect Medicare Beneficiaries.” New York, NY: The Commonwealth Fund Publication 1383, Vol. 81.Google Scholar
- Hawaii Department of Health. 2011. “Health Care Programs: Hawaii’s Quest Program.” Retrieved September 18, 2011, from http://hawaii.gov/health/disability-services/neurotrauma/key-services-medical.html.
- HealthCare.gov. 2011. “In Focus: Health Disparities and the Affordable Care Act.” Retrieved June 27, 2011, from http://www.healthcare.gov/law/infocus/disparities/index.html
- Health Connector. 2011. “The Top Ten Facts About Massachusetts Health Care Reform.” Retrieved September 18, 2011, from http://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector/HealthCareReform.
- Jacobs, L.R., and T. Skocpol. 2010. Health Care Reform and American Politics: What Everyone Needs to Know. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- __________ and R.Y. Shapiro. 1995. “Don’t Blame the Public for Failed Health Care Reform.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 20(2) (Summer): 411–423.Google Scholar
- Lubove, R. 1970. The Struggle for Social Security 1900-1935. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Mass.Gov.2011. “Health Care Reform,” from http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=mg2subtopic%26L=4%26LQ=Home%26L1=Resident%26L2=Health….
- Morone, J.A. 1995. “Nativism, Hollow Corporations, and Managed Competition: Why the Clinton Health Care Reform Failed.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 20(2) (Summer): 391–398.Google Scholar
- Meyer, J., and F. Pervez. 2006. “Summary of the Key Features from the Massachusetts Health Care Reform Law.” Retrieved June 18, 2011, from http://www.universalhealthct.org/…/1013444735463582904.06751627.do….
- Neubauer, D. 1993. “State Model: Hawaii: A Pioneer in Health System Reform.” Health Affairs 12(2) (Summer): 31–39.Google Scholar
- Nix, K. 2010. “WebMemo: Top 10 Disasters of Obamacare.” Washington, DC: The Heritage Foundation Publication No. 2848, from http://report.heritage.org/wm2848.
- Numbers, R.L. 1978. Almost Persuaded: American Physicians and Compulsory Health Insurance. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- O’Hanlon, A., and S. Rich. November 8–14, 1993. “Key Provisions of the Major Health Care Bills.” The Washington Post National Weekly Edition, 13–14.Google Scholar
- Peterson, M. 1993. “Political Influence in the 1990s: From Iron Triangles to Policy Networks.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 18(2) (Summer): 395–438. Google Scholar
- Poen, M.M. 1979. Harry S. Truman Versus the Medical Lobby. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press.Google Scholar
- Quirk, P.J., and W. Cunion. 2000. “Clinton’s Domestic Policy: The Lessons of a New Democrat.” In The Clinton Legacy, eds. C. Campbell and B.A. Rockman. New York, NY: Chatham House, 200–225.Google Scholar
- Senate Democrats. 2011. “Responsible Reform for the Middle Class.” Retrieved September 18, 2011, from http://dpc.senate.gov/healthreformbill/healthbill04.pdf.
- Sidlow, E., and B.E. Henschen. 2012. GOVT3. Boston, MA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Skidmore, M.J. 2010. “Health Care in America, and Everywhere Else: A Review of Essay.” Poverty & Public Policy 2(1): Article 11. DOI: 10.2202/1944-2858. 1065.Google Scholar
- Starr, P. 1982. The Social Transformation of American Medicine: The Rise of a Sovereign Profession and the Making of a Vast Industry. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Steinmo, S., and J. Watts. 1995. “It’s the Institutions, Stupid! Why Comprehensive National Health Insurance Always Fails in America.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 20(2) (Summer): 329–372.Google Scholar
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. June 2007. “Massachusetts Health Care Reform Plan: An Update,” from http://www.kff.org/uninsured/upload/7494-02.pdf.
- Tishler, H.S. 1971. Self Reliance and Social Security, 1870–1917. Port Washington, NY: Kennikat Press National University Publications.Google Scholar
- Weissert, C.S., and W.G. Weissert. 2002. Governing Health: The Politics of Health Policy, 2nd ed. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Weissert, W.G., and C.S. Weissert. 2010. “Why Major Health Reform in 2009–10 Won’t Solve Our Problems.” The Forum 8(1): Article 9, from http://www.bepress.com/forum/vol8/iss1/art9.
- White, J. 1995. “The Horses and the Jumps: Comments on Health Care Reform Steeplechase.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 20(2) (Summer): 373–383.Google Scholar
- Wikipedia 2011. “Massachusetts Health Care Reform.” Retrieved April 18, 2011, from http://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_health_care_reform.
- Witte, E. 1962. The Development of the Social Security Act. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar
- Yellowitz, I. 1965. Labor and the Progressive Movement in New York State, 1897–1916. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar