Cases on SMEs Digital Innovations
To help explain some of the concepts addressed throughout the book, in this chapter, we present four case studies. Each case concerns a small entrepreneurial company that has innovatively used information technology (IT) to achieve success. These cases were all developed as one part of a collaborative research project between the International Council of Small Business (ICSB) and Dell, Inc. While the four companies are quite different, representing a variety of industries, they have important commonalities in the way they used IT for innovation.
United States—Transport Designs
Canada—Fifth P Solutions
United Kingdom—Wiggly Wigglers.
Each of the companies was a national winner of the 2008 “Dell Small Business Excellence Award.” Wiggly Wigglers was the overall world winner.
KeywordsSocial Medium Tacit Knowledge Corporate Entrepreneurship Factory Floor Sewing Machine
- 1.Kyvik O, ElTarabishy A, Leger-Jarniou C (in press) The use of information technology and innovation in entrepreneurial small firms: an exploratory study. Enterp Theory PractGoogle Scholar
- 2.ICSB (2008) Dell small business excellence award. International Council for Small Business WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 3.ElTarabishy A (2009) Interview with Daniele Scotucci and Daniela Funari of Tecnomode. International Council for Small Business, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 4.ElTarabishy A (2009) Interview Michael Mattalo of Fifth P Solutions. International Council for Small Business, WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- 5.Encyclopedia (2011) Marketing: historical perspectives. http://www.enotes.com/business-finance-encyclopedia/marketing-historical-perspectives. Accessed September 2011Google Scholar