Wind-Induced Vibrations in the European Court Towers
Issues regarding occupancy comfort in vibration-sensitive structures are the motivation of this study concerning wind-induced vibrations in the European Court Towers in Luxembourg. In one of the two identical towers tuned liquid dampers (TLD) have been installed. Recent studies investigate the changes in the dynamic behavior of the artificially damped tower, before and after the activation of TLD's. This paper widens these investigations and exploits the benefit of having two similar full-scale structures with dissimilar damping characteristics. The main subject of interest in the investigation is the difference in vibration level as well as the modal damping ratios of the towers at various excitation levels. The experimental measurements that form the basis of this paper were conducted during a period of two weeks in the fall of 2010.
The modal parameters are extracted using operational modal analysis at different wind speeds and directions. This paper presents the experimental setup and the results of the analysis regarding the differences in response and modal damping ratios of the two towers under varying excitation levels.
- 1.Danish Maritime Institue (2002) Wind-tunnel tests with Salle de Concert a Luxembourg-Kirchberg. Technical report, Danish Maritime Institute, Project Report, Ref. 2001208Google Scholar
- 2.Georgakis CT (2003) Tuned liquid dampers for the twin towers of Cour de Justice des Communautees Europeennes, Luxembourg Feasibility Study. Technical report, Force TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 3.FORCE Technology (2004) Tuned liquid dampers for the twin towers of Cour de Justice des Commuautees Europeennes Luxembourg—experimental testing. Technical report, FORCE TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 4.FORCE Technology (2004) Tuned liquid dampers for the twin towers of Cour de Justice des Commuautees Europeennes Luxembourg—detailed analysis. Technical report, FORCE TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 5.Matteoni G (2009) The determination of the optimal TLD parameters for the European court of justice buildings. Master Thesis, Technical University of Denmark, LuxembourgGoogle Scholar
- 6.Brincker R, Brandt A, Georgakis CT, Roldsgaard JH, Schilz D (2010) Estimation of damping for one of the new European court towers in Luxembourg. In: Conference proceedings: IMAC-XXIX: a conference & exposition on structural dynamicsGoogle Scholar
- 7.Andersen KG, Andersen S (2010) Wind-induced vibrations in the European court towers. Master Thesis, Aarhus UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 8.CAP2 ApS. http://www.cap2.dk. Accessed Aug 2011
- 9.Bendat JS, Piersol AG (1971) Random data: analysis and measurement procedures. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar