The on-line discovery, trading and consumption of services as envisioned in the Internet of Services demand an advanced support of the business aspects. Pricing plays a fundamental role among such business facets on both sides of a service marketplace. This chapter discusses the scientific background of the USDL Pricing Module as a comprehensive, applicable, executable, and non-proprietary endeavor. As such, the chapter elicits what makes modeling and engineering the price of a service transaction less straightforward than in the case of a product sale. In addition, we review the state of the art with regard to price meta-models and give a detailed explanation of the most differentiating design choices in the meta-model we propose, including the interdependencies with other USDL modules.
KeywordsTransportation Marketing Tate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Z. Baida, H. Akkermans, and J. Gordijn. Serviguration: towards online configurability of real-world services. In Proc. of the 5th ICEC, pages 111–118, 2003.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Barros, C. Baumann, A. Charfi, S. Heinzl, T. Kiemes, U. Kylau, N. May, O.Müller, F. Novelli, D. Oberle, P. Robinson, B. Schmeling, W. Theilmann, and H. Witteborg. Unified Service Description Language (USDL) — Pricing Module. Technical Report Version 3.0, Milestone M5, SAP Research, May 2011. Available at www.internet-of-services.com.
- 3.B. de Miranda, Z. Baida, and J. Gordijn. Modelling pricing for configuring e-service bundles. In BLED 2006 Proceedings. AIS Electronic Library (AISeL), 2006. http://aisel.aisnet.org/bled2006/48.
- 4.A. Faruqui and L. Wood. Quantifying the benefits of dynamic pricing in the mass market. Edison Electric Institute, January 2008.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Hepp. Goodrelations: An ontology for describing products and services offers on the web. In A. Gangemi and J. Euzenat, editors, Knowledge Engineering: Practice and Patterns, 16th International Conference, EKAW 2008, Acitrezza, Italy, September 29 - October 2, 2008. Proceedings, volume 5268 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 329–346. Springer, 2008.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Hümpel and V. Schmitz. BMEcat - an XML standard for electronic product data interchange. In Proceedings of the 1st German Conference on XML, pages 1–11, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.O. Kelkar, J. Leukel, and V. Schmitz. Price modeling in standards for electronic product catalogs based on XML. In WWW ’02: Proceedings, pages 366–375, 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Kiemes, D. Oberle, and F. Novelli. Towards a reusable and executable pricing model in the internet of services. In G. Kotsis, D. Taniar, E. Pardede, I. Saleh, and I. Khalil, editors, The 12th International Conference on Information Integration and Web-based Applications & Services (iiWAS2010), volume 272 of firstname.lastname@example.org, pages 720–727, Wien Ö sterreich, 2010. Ö sterreichische Computer Gesellschaft (OCG).Google Scholar
- 11.T. T. Nagle and J. E. Hogan. The Strategies and Tactics of Pricing. Prentice Hall, 4 edition, 2005.Google Scholar
- 12.T. T. Nagle and J. E. Hogan. Segmented Pricing: Using Price Fences to Segment Markets and Capture Value. SPG Insights, 2006.Google Scholar
- 13.I. C. Ng. The Pricing and Revenue Management of Services: A Strategic Approach. Routledge, 1st edition, 2007.Google Scholar
- 14.F. Novelli. A Simulation Study of the Interdependence of Scalability and Cannibalization in the Software Industry. In Proceedings of the 23rd European Modeling and Simulation Symposium, Rome, September 2011.Google Scholar
- 15.J. O’Sullivan, D. Edmond, and A. H. M. ter Hofstede. The price of services. In Service- Oriented Computing — ICSOC 2005, Third International Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, December 12-15, 2005, Proceedings, volume 3826 of LNCS, pages 564–569. Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- 16.C. Shapiro and H. R. Varian. Versioning: The Smart Way to Sell Information. Harvard Business Review, pages 106–110, November, December 1998.Google Scholar
- 18.I. Toma. Modeling and ranking semantic web services based on non-functional properties. PhD thesis, Faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics of the University of Innsbruck, 2010.Google Scholar