Creating and Publishing Semantic Metadata about Linked and Open Datasets
The number of open datasets available on the web is increasing rapidly with the rise of the Linked Open Data (LOD) cloud and various governmental efforts for releasing public data in various formats, not only in RDF. However, the metadata available for these datasets is often minimal, heterogeneous, and distributed, which makes finding a suitable dataset for a given need problematic. Governmental open datasets are often the basis of innovative applications but the datasets need to be found by the developers first. To address the problem, we present a distributed content creation model and tools for annotating and publishing metadata about linked data and non-RDF datasets on the web. The system DATAFINLAND is based on a modified version of the VoiD vocabulary for describing linked RDF datasets, and uses an online metadata editor SAHA3 connected to ONKI ontology services for annotating contents semantically. The resulting metadata can be published instantly on an integrated faceted search and browsing engine HAKO for human users, as a SPARQL end-point for machine use, and as a source file. As a proof of concept, the system has been applied to LOD and Finnish governmental datasets.
KeywordsSemantic Search Link Open Data Ontology Service Triple Store Metadata Schema
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aitchison, J., Gilchrist, A. and Bawden, D. Thesaurus construction and use: a practical manual. Europa Publications, London, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Alexander, K., Cyganiak, R., Hausenblas, M. and Zhao, Jun. Describing linked datasets - on the design and usage of void, the ’vocabulary of interlinked datasets’. In Linked Data on the Web Workshop (LDOW 09), in conjunction with 18th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 09), 2009.Google Scholar
- 3.Baclawski, K. and Schneider, T. The open ontology repository initiative: Requirements and research challenges. In Proceedings ofWorkshop on Collaborative Construction, Management and Linking of Structured Knowledge at the ISWC 2009, Washington DC., USA, October 2009.Google Scholar
- 4.Berners-Lee, T. 2006. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html.
- 5.Bizer, C., Cyganiak, R. and Heath, T. How to publish linked data on the web, 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Bizer, C., Heath, T. and Berners-Lee, T. Linked data - the story so far. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS), 2009.Google Scholar
- 7.Cyganiak, R., Maali, F. and Peristeras, V. Self-service linked government data with dcat and gridworks. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Semantic Systems, I-SEMANTICS ’10, pages 37:1–37:3, New York, NY, USA, 2010. ACM.Google Scholar
- 8.d’Aquin, M. and Lewen, H. Cupboard - a place to expose your ontologies to applications and the community. In Proceedings of the ESWC 2009, pages 913–918, Heraklion, Greece, June 2009. Springer–Verlag.Google Scholar
- 9.d’Aquin, M. and Lewen, H. Cupboard - a place to expose your ontologies to applications and the community. In Proceedings of the ESWC 2009, pages 913–918, Heraklion, Greece, June 2009. Springer–Verlag.Google Scholar
- 10.dÁquin, M. and Motta, E. Watson, more than a semantic web search engine. Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.Finin, T., Peng, Yun, Scott, R., Cost, J., Joshi, S.-A., Reddivari, P. Pan, R., Doshi, V. and Li, Ding. Swoogle: A search and metadata engine for the semantic web. In In Proceedings of the Thirteenth ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, pages 652–659. ACM Press, 2004.Google Scholar
- 12.Foskett, D.J. Thesaurus. In Encyclopaedia of Library and Information Science, Volume 30, pages 416–462. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1980.Google Scholar
- 13.Hausenblas, M., Halb, W., Raimond, Y. and Heath, T. What is the size of the semantic web? In Proceedings of I-SEMANTICS ’08, 2008.Google Scholar
- 14.Hearst, M., Elliott, A., English, J., Sinha, R., Swearingen, K. and Lee, K.P. Finding the flow in web site search. CACM, 45(9):42–49, 2002.Google Scholar
- 15.Heath, T. and Bizer, C. Linked Data: Evolving the Web into a Global Data Space. Morgan & Claypool, San Francisco, USA, 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.Hildebrand, M., van Ossenbruggen, J., Amin, A., Aroyo, L., Wielemaker, J. and Hardman, L. The design space of a configurable autocompletion component. Technical Report INS-E0708, Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam, 2007.Google Scholar
- 17.Hogan, A., Harth, A., Umrich, J. and Decker, S. Towards a scalable search and query engine for the web. In WWW ’07: Proceedings of the 16th international conference on World Wide Web, pages 1301–1302, New York, NY, USA, 2007. ACM.Google Scholar
- 18.Hyvönen, E., Saarela, S. and Viljanen, K. Application of ontology-based techniques to viewbased semantic search and browsing. In Proceedings of the First European Semantic Web Symposium, May 10–12, Heraklion, Greece. Springer–Verlag, 2004.Google Scholar
- 19.Hyvönen, E. and Mäkelä, E. Semantic autocompletion. In Proceedings of the First Asia Semantic Web Conference (ASWC 2006), Beijing. Springer–Verlag, 2006.Google Scholar
- 20.Hyvönen, E., Viljanen, K., Tuominen, J. and Seppälä, K. Building a national semantic web ontology and ontology service infrastructure—the FinnONTO approach. In Proceedings of the ESWC 2008, Tenerife, Spain. Springer–Verlag, 2008.Google Scholar
- 21.Hyvönen, E., Viljanen, K., Tuominen, J., Seppälä, K., Kauppinen, T., Frosterus, M., Sinkkilä, R., Kurki, J., Alm, O., Mäkelä, E. and Laitio, J. National ontology infrastructure service ONKI. Oct 1 2008.Google Scholar
- 22.Kurki, J. and Hyvönen, E. Collaborative metadata editor integrated with ontology services and faceted portals. In Workshop on Ontology Repositories and Editors for the Semantic Web (ORES 2010), the Extended SemanticWeb Conference ESWC 2010, Heraklion, Greece. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, http://ceur-ws.org/, June 2010.
- 23.Maali, F., Cyganiak, R. and Peristeras, V. Enabling interoperability of government data catalogues. In Maria Wimmer, Jean-Loup Chappelet, Marijn Janssen, and Hans Scholl, editors, Electronic Government, volume 6228 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 339–350. Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 2010.Google Scholar
- 24.Mäkelä, E. and Hyvönen, E. How to deal with massively heterogeneous cultural heritage data—lessons learned in culturesampo. Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, under review, 2011.Google Scholar
- 25.Noy, N.F., Shah, N.F., Whetzel, P.L., Dai, B., Dorf,M. Griffith, N., Jonquet, C., Rubin, D.L., Storey, M.-A., Chute, C.G. and Musen, M.A. BioPortal: ontologies and integrated data resources at the click of a mouse. Nucleic Acids Research, 37(Web Server issue):170–173, 2009.Google Scholar
- 26.Noy, N.F., Shah, N.H., Whetzel, P.L., Dai, B., Dorf, M., Griffith, N., Jonquet, C., Rubin, D.L., Storey, M.-A., Chute, C.G. and Musen, M.A. BioPortal: ontologies and integrated data resources at the click of a mouse. Nucleic Acids Research, 37(Web Server issue):170–173, 2009.Google Scholar
- 27.Pollitt, A.S. The key role of classification and indexing in view-based searching. Technical report, University of Huddersfield, UK, 1998. http://www.ifla.org/IV/ifla63/63polst.pdf.
- 28.Reynolds, D., Shabajee, P. and Cayzer, S. Semantic information portals. In Proceedings of the 13th international World Wide Web conference on Alternate track papers & posters, WWW Alt. ’04, pages 290–291, New York, NY, USA, 2004. ACM.Google Scholar
- 29.Staab, S. and Studer, R., editors. Handbook on ontologies (2nd Edition). Springer–Verlag, 2009.Google Scholar
- 30.Suominen, O., Viljanen, K. and Hyvönen, E. User-centric faceted search for semantic portals. Springer–Verlag, 2007.Google Scholar
- 31.Tuominen, J., Frosterus, M., Viljanen, K. and Hyvönen, E. ONKI SKOS server for publishing and utilizing skos vocabularies and ontologies as services. In Proceedings of the 6th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2009). Springer–Verlag, 2009.Google Scholar
- 32.Viljanen, K., Tuominen, J. and Hyvöen, E. Ontology libraries for production use: The Finnish ontology library service ONKI. In Proceedings of the 6th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2009). Springer–Verlag, 2009.Google Scholar
- 33.Viljanen, K., Tuominen, J. and Hyvönen, E. Ontology libraries for production use: The Finnish ontology library service ONKI. In Proceedings of the ESWC 2009, Heraklion, Greece. Springer–Verlag, 2009.Google Scholar
- 34.Viljanen, K., Tuominen, J., Salonoja, M. and Hyvönen, E. Linked open ontology services. In Workshop on Ontology Repositories and Editors for the Semantic Web (ORES 2010), the Extended Semantic Web Conference ESWC 2010. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, http://ceurws.org/, June 2010.