Linking Geographical Data for Government and Consumer Applications
Given the influence of geography on our lives, it is of little surprise that this dimension runs through many of the data sets available on the Web as Linked Data, and plays a crucial ongoing role in many attempts to visualise and build applications upon these. The importance of opening access to governmental data resources is increasingly recognised, and those with a geographic flavour are no exception. In this chapter we describe how the national mapping agency of Great Britain approached the publication of various key data sets as Linked Data, detailing many of the data modelling decisions taken. We then explore a small sample of the applications that have been built on these and related data sets, demonstrating how governmental data sets can underpin government and consumer applications alike. The chapter concludes with presentation of a deployed approach for linking vast volumes of geographic data, thereby significantly increasing the density of links between geographic data sets in the Web of Data.
KeywordsLink Data Proper Part Ordnance Survey Geographic Markup Language Consumer Application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bizer, C., Heath, T., Berners-Lee, T.: Linked Data - The Story So Far. Int. J. Semantic Web Inf. Syst. 5, 1–22 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Bizer, C., Jentzsch, A., Cyganiak, R.: State of the LOD Cloud. Freie Universitaet Berlin (2011). http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/lodcloud/state/. Cited 21 Apr 2011
- 7.Heath, T., Bizer, C.: Linked Data – Evolving the Web into a Global Data Space. Morgan and Claypool (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Ngonga Ngomo, A.C., Auer, S.: LIMES - A Time-Efficient Approach for Large-Scale Link Discovery on the Web of Data. University of Leipzig (2010). http://svn.aksw.org/papers/2011/WWW_LIMES/public.pdf. Cited 21 Apr 2011
- 9.Ordnance Survey: Annual Report 2009/10. Ordnance Survey (2010). http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/. Cited 21 Apr 2011
- 11.Shadbolt, N. R., Gibbins, N., Glaser, H., Harris, S. and schraefel, m. c.: CS AKTive Space or how we stopped worrying and learned to love the Semantic Web. IEEE Intelligent Systems 19, 41–47 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Tennison, J.: A Developers’ Guide to the Linked Data APIs. HM Government (2010). http://data.gov.uk/blog/guest-post-developers-guide-linked-data-apis-jeni-tennison. Cited 21 Apr 2011
- 13.Volz, J., Bizer, C., Gaedke, M., Kobilarov, G.: Discovering and Maintaining Links on theWeb of Data. In: Bernstein, A., Karger, D. (eds.) The Semantic Web - ISWC 2009, pp. 731-746. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Wallis, R.: Linked Data Visualisation Launched at Prime Minister’s Conference. Talis (2010). http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2010/02/linked-data-visualisation-launched-at-primeministers- conference.php. Cited 21 Apr 2011