Producing and Using Linked Open Government Data in the TWC LOGD Portal
As open government initiatives around the world publish an increasing number of raw datasets, citizens and communities face daunting challenges when organizing, understanding, and associating disparate data related to their interests. Immediate and incremental solutions are needed to integrate, collaboratively manipulate, and transparently consume large-scale distributed data. The Tetherless World Constellation (TWC) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has developed the TWC LOGD Portal based on Semantic Web principles to support the deployment of Linked Open Government Data. The portal is not only an open source infrastructure supporting Linked Open Government Data production and consumption, but also serves to educate the developers, data curators, managers, and end users that form the growing international open government community. This chapter introduces the informatic challenges faced while developing the portal over the past two years, describes the current design solutions employed by the portal’s LOGD production infrastructure, and concludes with lessons learned and future work.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alani, H., Dupplaw, D., Sheridan, J., O’Hara, K., Darlington, J., Shadbolt, N. and Tullo, C. Unlocking the potential of public sector information with semantic web technology. In ISWC/ASWC, pages 708–721, 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.Berners-Lee, T. Putting government data online. http://www.w3.org DesignIssues/GovData.html, accessed Sep 25, 2010, 2009.
- 3.DiFranzo, D., Graves, A., Erickson, J.S., Li, Ding, Michaelis, J., Lebo, T., Patton, E.,Williams, G.T., Li, Xian, Zheng, Jin Guang, Flores, J., McGuinness, D.L. and Hendler, J. The web is my back-end: Creating mashups with linked open government data. In Linked Open Government Data, 2011.Google Scholar
- 4.Li, Ding, Difranzo, D., Graves, A., Michaelis, J., Li, Xian, McGuinness, D.L. and Hendler, J. Data-gov wiki: Towards linking government data. In Proceedings of the AAAI 2010 Spring Symposium on Linked Data Meets Artificial Intelligence, 2010.Google Scholar
- 5.Li, Ding, Difranzo, D., Graves, A., Michaelis, J., Li, Xian, McGuinness, D.L. and Hendler, J. Twc data-gov corpus: Incrementally generating linked government data from data.gov. In Proceedings of the 19th International World Wide Web conference (WWW2010) (developer track), 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.Li, Ding, Lebo, T., Erickson, J.S., DiFranzo, D., Williams, G.T., Li, Xian, Michaelis, J., Graves, A., Zheng, Jin Guang, Shangguan, Z., Flores, J., McGuinness, D.L. and Hendler, J. Twc logd: A portal for linked open government data ecosystems. Web Semantics: Science, Services and Agents on the World Wide Web, In Press, Accepted Manuscript:–, 2011.Google Scholar
- 7.Erickson, J., Shi, Yongmei, Li, Ding, Rozell, E., Zheng, Jin and Hendler, J. Twc international open government dataset catalog (triplification challenge submission). In Proceedings the 7 th International Conference on Semantic Systems, I-SEMANTICS 2011, Graz, Austria., ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. ACM, 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Goodwin, J., Dolbear, C. and Hart G. Geographical linked data: The administrative geography of great britain on the semantic web. Transactions in GIS, 12(s1):19–30, 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.Hartig, O. Provenance information in the web of data. In Proceedings of the Linked Data on the Web (LDOW) Workshop at WWW, Madrid, Spain, 2009.Google Scholar
- 10.Lange, C. Krextor – an extensible XML→RDF extraction framework. In Chris Bizer, Sören Auer, and Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes, editors, Scripting and Development for the Semantic Web (SFSW), number 449 in CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Aachen, May 2009.Google Scholar
- 11.Lebo, T. and Williams, G.T. Converting governmental datasets into linked data. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Semantic Systems, I-SEMANTICS ’10, pages 38:1–38:3, 2010.Google Scholar
- 12.Li, Xian, Lebo, T. and McGuinness, D.L. Provenance-based strategies to develop trust in semantic web applications. In The Third International Provenance and Annotation Workshop (IPAW 2010), pages 182–197, 2010.Google Scholar
- 13.McGuinness, D.L., Li, Ding, da Silva, P.P. and Chang, C. Pml 2: A modular explanation interlingua. In Proceedings of the AAAI 2007 Workshop on Explanation-Aware Computing, July 2007.Google Scholar
- 14.McGuinness, D.L., Furtado, V., da Silva, P.P., Li, Ding, Glass, A. and Chang, C. Explaining semantic web applications. In Semantic Web Engineering in the Knowledge Society, pages 1–24. Information Science Reference, 2008. (chapter 1).Google Scholar
- 15.Michaelis, J. and McGuinness, D.L. Towards provenance aware comment tracking for web applications. In The Third International Provenance and Annotation Workshop (IPAW 2010), pages 265–273, 2010.Google Scholar
- 16.Moreau, L., Clifford, B., Freire, J., Futrelle, J., Gil, Y., Groth, P., Kwasnikowska, N., Miles, S., Missier, P., Myers, J., Plale, B., Simmhan, Y., Stephan, E. and Van den Bussche, J. The open provenance model core specification (v1.1). Future Generation Computer Systems, 27(6):743 – 756, 2011.Google Scholar
- 18.Sahoo, S.S., Thomas, C. and Sheth, A. Knowledge modeling and its application in life sciences: A tale of two ontologies. In Proceedings of WWW, 2006.Google Scholar
- 19.Smith, A. Government online. URL: http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/ 2010/Government-Online.aspx, accessed on Jan 25, 2011.
- 20.Hellmann, S, Unbehauen, J., Zaveri, A., Lehmann, J., Auer, S., Tramp, S., Williams, H., Erling, O., Thibodeau, T. Jr., Idehen, K., Blumauer, A. and Nagy, H. LOD2 – Creating Knowledge out of Interlinked Data. Deliverable 3.1.1. Report on Knowledge Extraction from Structured Sources. URL: http://static.lod2.eu/Deliverables/ deliverable-3.1.1.pdf, accessed on August 15, 2011.