Design Process for Terrestrial and Undersea DWDM Network Upgrades
The design process for DWDM upgrades of terrestrial and undersea systems is presented in the form of realistic industry scenarios. Fiber plant quality, margins for repairs and fiber aging, and upgrade capacity target are taken into account. Estimation of repeater characteristics, management of multipath interference and nonlinearities as well as the Raman amplification aspects in the various designs are also analyzed.
KeywordsChromatic Dispersion Optical Cable Polarization Mode Dispersion Dense Wavelength Division Multiplex Standard Single Mode Fiber
The author is grateful to his present and former collogues at Xtera Communications: D. Chang, S. Edirisinghe, G. Grosso, D. Krishnappa, W. Pelouch, A. Puc, A. Robinson, J. Schwartz, N. Taylor, and W. Wong.
- 1.Chesnoy J (2002) Undersea fiber communication systems. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Paling J, Mertz P, Grubb S (2010) Application of photonic integrated circuit based DWDM transmission equipment on legacy repeatered submarine cable systems. In: Proceedings of suboptic industry conference, Yokohama, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 3.Schwartz J, Edirisinghe S, Wong W, Acebo R, Palinski G (2010) Optical layer concatenation of long-span amplified systems. In: Proceedings of suboptic industry conference, Yokohama, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 4.Agrawal GP (1997) Fiber-optic communication systems. p 172. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Bissessur H, Brylski I, Mongardien D, Bousselet P (2010) Unrepeatered systems: state of the art. In: Proceedings of suboptic industry conference, Yokohama, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 6.Perrier P, Févrie H, Lyons J (2010) Advances in repeaterless system architectures and their applications to Festoon cable systems. In: Proceedings of suboptic industry conference, Yokohama, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 7.Islam M (ed) (2003) Raman amplifiers for telecommunications. Springer Inc, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.Puc A, Chang DI, Grosso G, Ellison J, Oberland R, Burtsev S, Perrier PA, Pelouch W, Webb S (2008) L-band unrepeatered WDM experiment over 451 km using all-Raman amplification and ROPA. In: Proceedings of IEEE/LEOS annual meeting, paper WH5,Newport Beach, CAGoogle Scholar
- 9.Derikson D (1998) (ed) Fiber optic test and measurement. Chapter 11, Prentice Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 10.Derikson D (1998) (ed) Fiber optic test and measurement. Chapter 13, Prentice Hall, Englewood CliffsGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kaminow IP, Li T, Willner AE (eds) (2008) Optical fiber telecommunications V, B: systems and networks. Chapter 8, Academic, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 12.Xtera Communications Inc. http://xtera.com