Synchronization of Coupled Pulse-Type Hardware Neuron Models for CPG Model
It is well known that locomotion rhythms of living organisms are generated by CPG (Central Pattern Generator). In this chapter, we discuss the synchronization phenomena and oscillatory patterns of the coupled neural oscillators using pulse-type hardware neuron models (P-HNMs) for the purpose of constructing the CPG model. It is shown that the plural coupled P-HNMs connected by excitatory-inhibitory mutual coupling can generate various oscillatory patterns. Therefore, we construct the CPG model by using the coupled P-HNMs to generate several locomotion rhythms. As a result, we show clearly that the IC chip of CPG model, which can generate the quadruped locomotion patterns, can be constructed by CMOS process. Furthermore, we implement the CPG model to the MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical Systems) type robot for the purpose of generating locomotion.
The fabrication of the MEMS type robot was supported by Research Center for Micro Functional Devices, Nihon University. The VLSI chip in this study has been fabricated in the chip fabrication program of VLSI Design and Education Center (VDEC), the University of Tokyo in collaboration with On-Semiconductor, Nippon Motorola LTD, HOYA Corporation, and KYOCERA Corporation.
- 2.Arbib M (ed) (2002) The handbook of brain theory and neural networks, 2nd edn. MIT Press, Cambridge Google Scholar
- 8.Yamauchi M, Wada M, Nishino Y, Ushida A (1999) Wave propagation phenomena of phase states in oscillators coupled by inductors as a ladder. IEICE Trans Fundam, E82-A(11):2592–2598 Google Scholar
- 9.Yamauchi M, Okuda M, Nishino Y, Ushida A (2003) Analysis of phase-inversion waves in coupled oscillators synchronizing at in-and-anti-phase. IEICE Trans Fundam E86-A(7):1799–1806 Google Scholar
- 10.Matsuoka J, Sekine Y, Saeki K, Aihara K (2002) Analog hardware implementation of a mathematical model of an asynchronous chaotic neuron. IEICE Trans Fundam E85-A(2):216–221 Google Scholar
- 11.Saeki K, Sekine Y (2003) CMOS implementation of neuron models for an artificial auditory neural network. IEICE Trans Fundam E86-A(2):248–251 Google Scholar
- 13.Nakabora Y, Saeki K, Sekine Y (2004) Synchronization of coupled oscillators using pulse-type hardware neuron models with mutual coupling. In: The 2004 international technical conference on circuits/systems, computers and communications (ITC-CSCC 2004), pp 8D2L-3-1–8D2L-3-4 Google Scholar
- 14.Hata K, Saeki K, Sekine Y (2006) A pulse-type hardware CPG model for quadruped locomotion pattern. International congress series, vol 1291, pp 157–160 Google Scholar