Histological Comparison of Primo Nodes in Abdominal Membrane and Lymph Nodes of Rat
We report a comparison of hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) stained images between primo nodes (PNs) in the abdominal membrane and lymph nodes (LNs) of a rat. Samples of PNs were taken from the region of acupuncture points in the conception vessel meridian (CV8-12) of rats which were aged between 7 and 9 weeks old. Samples of LNs were taken near the abdominal vein and the caudal vena cava. Both primo nodes and lymph nodes samples were fixed in a paraffin block and H&E stained. The images were taken using an optical microscopy equipped with a CCD camera. The observed features in LNs were absent in PNs, namely, capsule, subcapsular sinus, and follicles. In addition, there was a high density of blood capillaries in the primo nodes as Bong-Han Kim described on superficial primo nodes. The result showed that the primo nodes in the putative conception vessel meridian were different from lymph nodes, and further investigation of cell types and functions of the primo node is necessary to fully characterize the putative PN in the conception vessel.
KeywordsLymph Node Blood Capillary Acupuncture Point Conception Vessel Subcapsular Sinus
We would like to thank Drs. Byung-Cheon Lee and Ping An for helpful discussion. K. Soh thanks the Association of Korean Oriental Medicine for support.
- 4.Van Wijk R, Soh KS, Van Wijk EPA (2007) Anatomic characterization of acupuncture system and ultra-weak photon emission. Asian J Phys 16:443–474Google Scholar
- 5.Kim BH (1963) On the Kyungrak system. J Acad Med Sci DPR Korea 90:1–41Google Scholar
- 6.Fujiwara S, Yu SB (1967) ‘Bonghan theory’ morphological studies. Igaku no Ayumi 60:567–577 [in Japanese]Google Scholar
- 7.Eom K-H (2010) Imaging of the primo vascular system in the conception vessel using fluorescent nanoparticles. Department of Physics and Astronomy, The Graduate School, Seoul National UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 8.Eom KH, Lee SW, Ahn SH, et al Fluorescent nanoparticle tracing from putative primo nodes in the conception vessel-like line to the bladder of a rat via primo vessel and ligament. unpublishedGoogle Scholar