Policy Driven Data Management in PL-Grid Virtual Organizations
In this chapter, we intend to introduce a novel approach to data management within the Grid environment based on user-defined storage policies. This approach aims at enabling Grid application developers to specify requirements concerning storage elements which will be exploited by the application during runtime. Most of the existing Grid middleware focus on unifying access to available storage elements, e.g. by applying various virtualization techniques. While this is suitable for many Grid applications, there is a category of applications, namely the data-intensive one which often has more specific needs. The chapter outlines research and development work carried out in the PL-GRID and OntoStor projects to solve this issue within the PL-GRID infrastructure.
The research presented in this paper has been partially supported by the European Union within the European Regional Development Fund program no. POIG.02.03.00-00-007/08-00 as part of the PL-Grid Project (http://www.plgrid.pl) and ACC Cyfronet AGH grant 500-08. MSWiN grant nr N N516 405535 is also acknowledged.
- 1.G. Behrmann, P. Fuhrmann, M. Gronager and J. Kleist, A distributed storage system with dCache, in G.Behrmann et al., Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2008Google Scholar
- 2.Zhaobin Liu, Autonomic Agent-based Storage Management for Grid Data Resource, Semantics, Knowledge, and Grid, 2006. Second International Conference on SemanticsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Daniel J. Abadi, Data Management in the Cloud: Limitations and Opportunities, IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, 2009, pp. 3-12Google Scholar
- 4.Robert L. Grossman and Yunhong Gu, On the Varieties of Clouds for Data Intensive Computing, IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, 2009, pp. 44-50Google Scholar
- 5.B. Cooper, E. Baldeschwieler, R. Fonseca, J. Kistler, P. Narayan, C. Neerdaels, T. Negrin, R. Ramakrishnan, A. Silberstein, U. Srivastava and R. Stata, Building a Cloud for Yahoo!, IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, 2009, pp. 36-43Google Scholar
- 6.A. Mylka, A. Swiderska, B. Kryza and J. Kitowski, Supporting Grid metadata management and resource matchmaking with OWL, Computing and Informatics, In preparation.Google Scholar
- 7.PL–GRID project page, http://www.plgrid.pl
- 8.Lustre file system project wiki, http://wiki.lustre.org
- 9.B. Kryza, L. Dutka, R. Slota, and J. Kitowski, Dynamic VO Establishment in Distributed Heterogeneous Business Environment, in: G. Allen, J. Nabrzyski, E. Seidel, G. D. van Albada, J. Dongarra, and P. M.A. Sloot (Eds.), Computational Science – ICCS 2009, 9th International Conference Baton Rouge, LA, USA, May 25-27, 2009 Proceedings, Part II, LNCS 5545, Springer 2009, pp. 709-718Google Scholar
- 10.The OntoStor project, http://www.icsr.agh.edu.pl/ontostor/
- 11.D. Nikolow, R. Slota, J. Kitowski, Knowledge Supported Data Access in Distributed Environment, in: M. Bubak, M. Turala, K. Wiatr (Eds.), Proceedings of Cracow Grid Workshop – CGW’08, October 13-15 2008, ACC-Cyfronet AGH, 2009, Krakow, pp. 320-325.Google Scholar