Terrorism in Europe from 1945-Present
The present chapter deals with terrorism in Europe in the period from 1945 until present. The major episodes and trends of terrorist activity in Europe are described on the basis of four databases (the Global Terrorism Database, the Worldwide Incident Tracking System, the European Situation and Trend report, and the Centre for Defense and International Security Studies Terrorism Database). The intersection of terrorism and homicide is discussed and analyzed.
KeywordsTerrorist Attack Terrorist Organization Terrorist Activity Late Seventy Terrorist Incident
- Benjamin, D. (2008). What statistics don’t tell us about terrorism. Retrieved November 30, 2010, via Brookings website, http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2008/0530_terrorism_benjamin.aspx.
- EU. (2002). Council framework decision of 13 June 2002 on combating terrorism. Retrieved November 29, 2010, via EU Website: http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2002:164:0003:0003:EN:PDF.
- Hoffman, B. (2006). Inside terrorism. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- HSRP. (2007). Dying to Lose: Explaining the decline in global terrorism. Retrieved November 30, 2010, via HSRGroup website: http://www.hsrgroup.org/docs/Publications/HSB2007/2007HumanSecurityBrief-FullText.pdf.
- McGirk, J. (2001). Colombian army fears links between FARC, ETA and IRA. Retrieved November 30, 2010, via The Independent website, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/colombian-army-fears-links-between-farc-eta-and-ira-666319.html.
- Schmid, A., & Jongman, A. (1988). Political terrorism: A new guide to actors, authors, Concepts. New Brunswick: Transaction Books.Google Scholar