Full-Field Bulge Testing Using Global Digital Image Correlation
The miniature bulge test is an acknowledged method for characterizing freestanding thin films. Nevertheless, some discrepancies in the quantitative results from such tests can be found in literature, explained in part by erroneous assumptions in the analytical description used to compute the global stress and strain from the membrane pressure and deflection. In this research, a new method is presented which renders the analytical description obsolete. A specialized Global Digital Image Correlation technique on high resolution, confocal microscopy, surface height maps of bulged membranes, has been developed. This method is able to capture full-field continuous deformation maps, from which local strain maps are computed. Additionally, local stress maps are derived from full-field curvature maps and the applied pressure. The local stress-strain maps allow the method to be used on inhomogeneous, anisotropic membranes as well as on exotic membrane shapes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A.J. Kalkman, A.H. Verbruggen G.C.A.M. Janssen and S. Radelaar, Transient creep in free-standing thin polycrystalline aluminum films, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 92–9, 4985–4957 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.C.V. Thompson, The yield stress of polycrystalline thin films, Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 8–2,237-238 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.P.A. Gruber, J. Böhm, F. Onuseit, A. Wanner, R. Spolenak, E. Arzt, Size effects on yield strength and strain hardening for ultra-thin Cu films with and without passivation: A study by synchrotron and bulge test techniques, Acta Materialia, Vol. 56, 2318–2335 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.E. Arzt, Size effects in materials due to microstructural and dimensional constraints: a comparative review, Acta Materialia, Vol. 46–16, 5611–5626 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.L.B. Freund and S. Suresh, Thin film materials: stress, defect formation, and surface evolution, Cambridge University Press, New York, (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.R.P. Vinci and J.J. Vlassak, Mechanical behavior of thin films, Annual Review of Materials Science, Vol. 26, 432–462 (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.J.J. Vlassak and W.D. Nix, A new bulge test technique for the determination of Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio of thin films, Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 7–12, 3242–3249 (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Xiang, X. Chen, J.J. Vlassak, Plane-strain bulge test for thin films, Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 20–9, 2360–2370 (2005)Google Scholar