Intelligent Non-Destructive Evaluation Expert System for Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics Panel Using Infrared Thermography
This research developed a reliable intelligent non-destructive evaluation (NDE) expert system for Carbon Fiber Reinforced Panels (CFRP) panels based on infrared thermography testing (IRT) and post processing by means of fuzzy expert system technique. Data features and NDE expert knowledge are seamlessly combined in the intelligent system to provide the best possible diagnosis of the potential defects and problems. As a result, this research help ensure CFRP panels’ integrity and reliability. Specimens with simulated defects were evaluated to demonstrate the usefulness of the intelligent IRT NDE expert system in NDE inspection. The testing data pattern corresponding to feature and quantification of defects were found. This fuzzy expert system not only eliminates human errors in defect detection but also functions as NDE experts. In addition, fuzzy expert system improves the defect detection by incorporating fuzzy expert rules to remove noises and to measure defect size more accurately. In the future, the expert system model could be continuously updated and modified to quantify the size and distribution of defects. The system developed here can be adapted and applied to build an intelligent NDE expert system for better quality control as well as automatic defect and porosity detection in CFRP production process.
KeywordsExpert System Defect Detection Carbon Fiber Reinforce Plastic Infrared Thermography Simulated Defect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chu, T.C., 1998, “Finite Element Modeling of Transient Thermography Inspection of Composite Materials,” NASA Contractor Reports – 1997 NASA/ASEE SFFP, pp. VII.1–VII.4.Google Scholar
- 3.Chu, T.C., DiGregorio, A.M., and Russell, S. S., 1999, “Determination of Experimental Parameters for Transient Thermography,” Proceedings of the SEM Annual Conference on Theoretical, Experimental, and Computational Mechanics, pp. 318–321.Google Scholar
- 5.Shepard, S. M., 2007, “Therography of Composites” Materials Evaluation, pp. 690–696.Google Scholar
- 6.Zalameda, J. N., 1999, “Measured Through-the-Thickness Thermal Diffusivity of Carbond Fiber Reinforced Composite Materials,” Journal of Composite Technology & Research, JCTRER, v 21, n 2, pp.98-102.Google Scholar
- 7.Maldague, X., 2000 “Applications of Infrared Thermography in Nondestructive Evaluation” Trends in Optical Nondestructive Testing, pp. 591–609.Google Scholar
- 11.Moore, D.S., Notz, W.I., 2006, “statistics: concepts and controversies” 6th Edition New York: W. H. FreemanGoogle Scholar