An Overview of Payments for Ecosystem Services
In the twenty-first century, we are challenged to dramatically transform the way we view, value, and manage our planet’s ecosystems. Healthy ecosystems have long been understood to produce ‘goods,’ such as food and fiber, that have a market value within the prevailing economic paradigm; however, the ‘services’ of these ecosystems have either been undervalued or not valued at all. These are ecosystems that provide trillions of dollars worth of clean water, flood protection, fertile lands, clean air, pollination, and disease control. These services are essential to maintaining livable conditions and are delivered by the world’s ecosystems, in effect, the world’s largest ‘utilities.’ Yet, over 60% of these ‘utilities’ are on the verge of collapse or are being used in ways that cannot be sustained (Millennium Ecosystem Assessment 2005).
KeywordsIndonesia Harness Colombia Bali Gorda
- Blaser, J. and C. Robledo. 2008. Initial analysis on the mitigation potential in the forestry sector. Update of a background paper prepared for the UNFCCC Secretariat in August 2007. Presented to the International Expert Meeting on Addressing Climate Change through Sustainable Management of Tropical Forests, Yokohama, Japan, 30 April–2 May 2008.Google Scholar
- Ecosystem Marketplace. 2011. http://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/.
- McKinsey & Company. 2009. Pathways to a Low-Carbon Economy: Version 2 of Global Greenhouse Gas Abatement Cost Curve.” Available at: http://www.mckinsey.com/clientservice/ccsi/pathways_low_carbon_economy.asp.Google Scholar
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, 2005. Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Synthesis. Island Press, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Molnar, A., Scherr, S., Khare, A. 2004. Who Conserves The World’s Forests? Community-Driven Strategies To Protect Forests And Respect Rights? Policy Brief, Forest Trends and EcoAgriculture Partners, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Sunderlin, W.D., Hatcher, J. and Liddle, M. 2008. From exclusion to ownership? Challenges and opportunities in advancing forest tenure reform. Rights and Resources Initiative, Washington, DC, USA. http://www.rightsandresources.org/publication_details.php?publicationID=736 (accessed April 2009).