It is a relatively recent development that photochemical reactions have had an important place among the reactions of organic chemistry. The area attracted great interest in the 1960’s, and, as a result of the many useful and fascinating reactions that were uncovered, photochemistry is now a useful synthetic tool for organic chemists. There is also a firm basis for mechanistic discussion of many photochemical reactions. Some general principles of photochemical reactions will be discussed in this section. In Section 11.2, the relationship of photochemical reactions to the principles of orbital symmetry discussed in Chapter 10 will be considered. In the remaining sections, some of the photoreactions that have been subjected to mechanistic study will be considered. Synthetic applications of photochemical reactions are covered in Part B, Chapter 6.
KeywordsExcited State Triplet State Photochemical Reaction Triplet Excited State Aromatic Ketone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. J. Turro, Molecular Photochemistry, W. A. Benjamin, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- D. Neckers, Mechanistic Organic Photochemistry, Reinhold, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- D. R. Arnold, N. C. Baird, J. R. Bolton, J. C. D. Brand, P. W. M. Jacobs, P. de Mayo, and W. R. Ware, Photochemistry : An Introduction, Academic Press, New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- J. M. Coxon and B. Halton, Organic Photochemistry, Cambridge University Press, London, 1974.Google Scholar
References for Problems
- 2a.E. Vogel, W. Grimme, and E. Dinné, Tetrahedron Lett, 391 (1965).Google Scholar
- 3a.O. Rodriguez and H. Morrison, Chem. Commun., 679 (1971).Google Scholar
- 3c.D. H. R. Barton, D. L. J. Clive, P. D. Magnus, and G. Smith,J Chem. Soc. C, 2193 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5j.D. H. R. Barton and G. Quinkert,J Chem. Soc., 1 (1960).Google Scholar
- 51.D. Bryce-Smith and J. E. Lodge,J Chem. Soc., 695 (1963);Google Scholar
- 5la.E. Grovenstein, Jr., and D. V. Rao, Tetrahedron Lett., 148 (1961).Google Scholar
- 6.W. B. Hammond and T. S. Young, Tetrahedron Lett., 1173 (1975).Google Scholar
- 14.J. Saltiel et al., Org. Photochem., 3, 1 (1973).Google Scholar