One Cannot Show from ZFC that there is an Ulm-Type Classification of the Countable Torsion-Free Abelian Groups
Using generalized recursive set functions, we define some notions of classification and prove that if the universe has a Cohen real over L, then there is no Ulm-type classification of the countable torsion-free abelian groups.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B]Jon Barwise, Back and Forth through Infinitary Logic, Studies in Model Theory (1973), The Mathematical Association of America, 5–34.Google Scholar
- [F]Laszlo Fuchs, Infinite Abelian Groups II, Academic Press, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- [FS]Harvey Friedman & Lee Stanley, A Borel reducibility theory for classes of countable structures, J. Sym. Logic 54(3) (1989).Google Scholar
- [H]Wilfred Hodges, On the Effectivity of some Field Constructions, Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society 32 (1976), 133–162.Google Scholar
- [HI]Wilfred Hodges, Constructing Pure Injective Hulls, The Journal of Symbolic Logic 45(3) (Sept. 1980).Google Scholar
- [H2]Wilfred Hodges, What is a structure theory?, preprint.Google Scholar
- [HS2]Wildred Hodges, Naturality and definability II, preprint.Google Scholar
- [J]Thomas Jech, Set Theory, Academic Press, New York, 1978.Google Scholar
- [J & K]Ronald B. Jenson and Carol Karp, Primitive Recursive Set Functions, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics, vol. 13 part I (1971), American Mathematical Society, 143–176.Google Scholar
- [K]Irving Kaplansky, Infinite Abelian Groups, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 1962.Google Scholar
- [M]Garvin Melles, Classification Theory and Generalized Recursive Functions, University of California at Irvine, 1989.Google Scholar
- [S]Saharon Shelah, Classification of First Order Theories which have a Structure Theorem, Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 12(2) (April 1985).Google Scholar
- [Sh401]Saharon Shelah, Finitary Structure Theorem, Preprint.Google Scholar