Principles and Ergonomics of Direct Aneurysm Surgery
With the operating microscope, in the 1960s came a powerful, unobstructed light source and magnified anatomy. Shortly following this development, delicate and fine dissectors, forceps and scissors became available. Aneurysm clips were gradually modified to accommodate and make best use of this new technology. Direct microsurgical clipping by craniotomy has become the most commonly applied procedure for managing an intracranial aneurysm and is currently available to virtually every aneurysm surgeon. Because of the many variations in aneurysm size, shape, and location, and peculiarities in anatomy of accompanying vessels, each operation must remain highly individualized. This chapter describes those procedures that must be used to achieve a successful outcome in a patient harboring an intracranial aneurysm and the auxiliary therapy required to accomplish this to its best advantage.
KeywordsCatheter Ischemia Heparin Drilling Sponge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Dandy WE. Intracranial Arterial Aneurysms. New York: Comstock; 1944, reprinted 1969.Google Scholar
- 4.Kaplan HA. Results of obliteration of specific cerebral veins and dural venous sinuses: animal and human studies. In: Kapp JP, ed. The Cerebral Venous System and its Disorders. Boca Raton, FL: Grune and Stratton Inc; 1984:275–282.Google Scholar
- 6.Sugita K, Hirota T, Iguchi I, Mizutami T. Comparative study of the pressure of various aneurysm clips. J Neuro-surg. 1976;44:723–727.Google Scholar
- 7.Gertz SD, Renneis ML, Forbes MS, Kawamura J, Sunaga J, Nelson E. Endothelial cell damage by temporary arterial occlusion with surgical clips: study of the clip site by scanning and transmission electron microscopy. J Neuro-surg. 1976;45:514–519.Google Scholar
- 11.Pertuiset B. Intraoperative aneurysmal rupture and reduction by coagulation of the sac. In: Pia HW, Langmaid C, Zierski J, eds. Cerebral Aneurysms—Advances in Diagnosis and Therapy. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1979:398–401.Google Scholar