Actuarial and Demographic Forecasting Methods
The purpose of this chapter is to present common methods of forecasting mortality used by actuaries in the American insurance industry. In a loose sense, the term forecasting refers to two different tasks, both of interest to the actuary. Of primary interest to actuaries are forecasts of the future mortality experience of groups. Individuals of a group are assumed to be subject to mortality according to some known set of probabilities. A second type of forecasting involves assessment of future patterns of the mortality process.
KeywordsMarketing Expense Smoke Posit Arena
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beekman, J.A. 1985. Actuarial assumptions and models for social security projections. In Actuarial Mathematics, Vol. 35 (Panjer, H.H., Ed). Proceedings of the Symposium in Applied Mathematics. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society.Google Scholar
- Bowers, N.L., Gerber, H.V., Hickman, J.C., Jones, D.A., and Nesbitt, C.J. 1984. Actuarial Mathematics. Itasca, Il: Society of Actuaries.Google Scholar
- Cramér, H., and Wold, H. 1935. Mortality variations in Sweden: A study in graduation and forecasting. Skandinavisk Akluarietidskrift11: 161–241.Google Scholar
- de Jouvenel, B. 1967. The Art of Conjecture. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Delgadillo, L.M. (Ed.). 1980. The Future of Life Expectancy. Itasca, Il: Society of Actuaries.Google Scholar
- Hickman, J.C., and Miller, R. 1973. Time series analysis and forecasting. Transactions of the Society of Actuaries25: 267–329.Google Scholar
- Hickman, J.C., and Miller, R. 1981. Bayesian bivariate graduation and forecasting. Scandinavian Actuarial Journal57: 129–150.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, W.A., and Lew, E.A. 1949. A new mortality basis for annuities. Transactions Society of Actuaries1: 369–498.Google Scholar
- Jordan, C.W. 1967. Life Contingencies. Itasca, Il: Society of Actuaries.Google Scholar
- Record of the Society of Actuaries. 1979. Discussion of the Preliminary Report of the Committee on Valuation and Related Problems. Volume 5, No. 1, pp. 224–284.Google Scholar
- Record of the Society of Actuaries. 1981. Asset management for an insurance company. Volume 7, No. 4, pp. 1335–1391.Google Scholar
- Record of the Society of Actuaries. 1982. Management of assets in relation to liabilities. Volume 8, No. 4, pp. 1501–1561.Google Scholar