Discussion by J.A. Hartigan
I was delighted with this article, which reviewed statistical techniques used in astronomy for detecting clusters. I will concentrate on the main problem discussed by Beers, the identification of clusters in the projected positions of galaxies on the sky.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hartigan, J.A. The span test for unimodality, in Classification and Related Methods of Data Analysis, H.H. Bock, editor, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. (North-Holland), 1988.Google Scholar
- Hartigan, I.A., and Mohanty, S. The runt test for multimodality. Journal of Classification. 1991 (to appear).Google Scholar
- Neyman, J. Problems of Extragalactic Research, G. C. McVittie, editor, MacMillan, New York, 1962.Google Scholar
- Neyman, J., Scott, E.L., and Shane, C.D. Statistics of images of galaxies with particular reference to clustering. 3rd Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability 3, J. Neyman, editor, University of California Press, Berkeley, pp. 75–111, 1954.Google Scholar
- Peebles, P.J.E. The Large Scale Structure of the Universe, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J, 1980.Google Scholar
- Ripley, B.D.E. Statistical Inference for Spatial Processes, Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, 1988.Google Scholar