Gravity Modeling of Mars and Venus at NASA/GSFC
The increasing accuracy requirements needed for the determination of the orbits of planetary spacecraft such as Mars Observer and Magellan has led to the development of improved high resolution gravity models of Mars and Venus in the Space Geodesy Branch at Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). This paper will review the latest results obtained from these research efforts and preview new developments anticipated in the future.
KeywordsGravity Field Gravity Anomaly Gravity Model Tracking Data Solar Radiation Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Culp, R. D., A. I. F. Stewart, and C. C. Chow, Time Dependent Model of the Martian Atmosphere for Use in Orbit Lifetime and Sustenance Studies, Final Report, JPL Contract 956446, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, 1983.Google Scholar
- Davies, M. E., V. K. Abalikin, J. H Lieske, P. K. Seidelmann, A. T. Sinclair, A. M. Sinzi, B. A. Smith, and Y. S. Tjuflin, Report of the IAU Working Group on Cartographic Coordinates and Rotational Elements of the Planets and Satellites: 1982, Celestial Mechanics, Vol. 29, pp. 309–321, 1983.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Davies, M. E., V. K. Abalikin, M. Bursa, G. E. Hunt, J. H. Lieske, B. Morando, R. H. Rapp, P. K. Seidelmann, A. T. Sinclair, and Y. S. Tjuflin, Report of the LAU/IAG/COSPAR Working Group on Cartographic Coordinates and Rotational Elements of the Planets and Satellites: 1988, Celestial Mechanics, 1989.Google Scholar
- Kaula, W. M., Theory of Satellite Geodesy, Blaisdell, Waltham, Mass., 1966.Google Scholar
- Martin, T. V., W. F. Eddy, D. D. Rowlands, and D. E. Pavlis, GEODYN II System Description, Contractor Report 8609, 5 volumes, 800 pp., Wash. Anal. Serv. Cent., Lanham, Maryland, 1987.Google Scholar
- McNamee, J. B., G. R. Kronschnabl, S. K. Wong, and J. E. Ekelund, A Gravity Field to Support Magellan Navigation and Science at Venus, in press, Journal of Astronautical Sciences, 1991.Google Scholar
- Mottinger, N. A., W. L. Sjogren, and B. G. Bills, Venus Gravity: A Harmonic Analysis and Geophysical Implications, J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 90, Supplement, pp. C739-C756, 1985.Google Scholar
- Smith, D. E., F. Lerch, S. Fricke, and G. Patel, A New Gravity Model for the Planet Mars, EOS Trans. Am. Geophys. Un., Vol. 70, p. 1172, 1989.Google Scholar
- Smith, D. E., F. J. Lerch, J. C. Chan, D. C. Chinn, H. B. Iz, A. Mallama, and G. B. Patel, Mars Gravity Field Error Analysis from Radio Tracking of Mars Observer, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 95, pp. 14115–14167, 1990.Google Scholar
- Ullman, R. E., SOLVE Program User Guide, NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center, January, 1990.Google Scholar