The Potential and Organization of Health Intelligence Units
Is the role of the university in society simply to generate, interpret, and transmit new knowledge? Or will universities come out of the “ivory tower” and join in meaningful partnerships with community leaders and governments, to resolve society’s present and future problems? Medical schools are part of the university, so these questions apply. As they are also linked with the health care system in carrying out education and research, questions about the mission of the medical schools, the health of the people, and the allocation of resources to deal with the determinants of health are interrelated. Medical schools require a capacity for the analysis and interpretation of health information in order to deal adequately with these issues.
KeywordsMedical School Medical Education National Health Service Public Health Unit Periodic Health Examination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lalonde, M. 1974. A New Perspective on the Health of Canadians. Government of Canada.Google Scholar
- Minister’s Advisory Group on Health Promotion (S. Podborski, Chairman), 1987. Health Promotion Matters in Ontario. Toronto: Ministry of Health.Google Scholar
- Morgan, P.P., 1979. The periodic health examination. Can Med Assoc J 121: 1–2.Google Scholar
- Ontario Health Review Panel (J. Evans, Chairman), 1987. Toward a Shared Direction for Health in Ontario. Toronto: Ministry of Health.Google Scholar
- Ontario Ministry of Health, 1989. Mandatory Health Programs and Services Guidelines. Toronto: Ministry of Health.Google Scholar
- Panel on Health Goals for Ontario (R. Spasoff, Chairman), 1987. Health for All Ontario. Toronto: Ministry of Health.Google Scholar
- Premier’s Council on Health Strategy, 1989. A Vision of Health: Health Goals for Ontario. Toronto: Premier’s Council.Google Scholar
- White, K.L. 1983. Health care: Limits and opportunities for health science centers. In: Squires, B. (Ed.), Proceedings of the Conference on Health in the 80’s and 90’s and its Impact on Health Sciences Education (Montebello, Quebec, 1982 ), Toronto: Council of Ontario Universities.Google Scholar
- White, K.L. 1989. Towards a New Beginning: Review of the College of Medicine. Saskatoon: University of Saskatchewan.Google Scholar