Metastable Harmonic Maps
The purpose of this lecture is to discuss a simple system with at least two distinct equilibrium states. The first state is an absolute minimum of the energy. The second state is a local minimum which exhibits some of the features of both stable and unstable equilibria.
KeywordsLiquid Crystal Absolute Minimum Unstable Equilibrium Partial Regularity Unique Continuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Brezis, Some variational problems with lack of compactness, Proc. Symp. Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Berkeley, 1984, AMS.Google Scholar
- H. Brezis — J.M. Coron — E. Lieb, in preparation.Google Scholar
- J.L. Ericksen — D. Kinderlehrer, eds., Proceedings of the IMA Workshop on the Theory and Applications of Liquid Crystals, Minneapolis, Jan. 1985.Google Scholar
- R. Hardt — D. Kinderlehrer — F.H. Lin, Existence and partial regularity of static liquid crystal configurations, Comm. Math. Phys. (to appear).Google Scholar
- R. Hardt — F.H. Lin in preparation.Google Scholar
- L. Nirenberg, Topics in Nonlinear Functional Analysis, N.Y.U. Lecture Notes 1973–74.Google Scholar