Metastable Harmonic Maps
The purpose of this lecture is to discuss a simple system with at least two distinct equilibrium states. The first state is an absolute minimum of the energy. The second state is a local minimum which exhibits some of the features of both stable and unstable equilibria.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Brezis, Some variational problems with lack of compactness, Proc. Symp. Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Berkeley, 1984, AMS.Google Scholar
- H. Brezis — J.M. Coron — E. Lieb, in preparation.Google Scholar
- J.L. Ericksen — D. Kinderlehrer, eds., Proceedings of the IMA Workshop on the Theory and Applications of Liquid Crystals, Minneapolis, Jan. 1985.Google Scholar
- R. Hardt — D. Kinderlehrer — F.H. Lin, Existence and partial regularity of static liquid crystal configurations, Comm. Math. Phys. (to appear).Google Scholar
- R. Hardt — F.H. Lin in preparation.Google Scholar
- L. Nirenberg, Topics in Nonlinear Functional Analysis, N.Y.U. Lecture Notes 1973–74.Google Scholar