Construction of a Class of Symmetric TVD Schemes
A one-parameter family of second-order explicit and implicit total variation diminishing (TVD) schemes is reformulated so that a simplier and wider group of limiters is included. The resulting scheme can be viewed as a symmetrical algorithm with a variety of numerical dissipation terms that are designed for weak solutions of hyperbolic problems. This is a generalization of Roe and Davis’s recent works to a wider class of symmetric schemes other than Lax-Wendroff. The main properties of the present class of schemes are that they can be implicit, and, when steady-state calculations are sought, the numerical solution is independent of the time step.
KeywordsComputational Fluid Dynamics Total Variation Diminish Numerical Flux Flux Limiter Symmetric Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P.L. Roe, Some Contributions to the Modelling of Discontinuous Flows, Proceedings of the AMS-SIAM Summer Seminar on Large-Scale Computation in Fluid Mechanics June 27–July 8, 1983, Lectures in Applied Mathematics, 22 (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, R.F. Warming and A. Harten, Implicit Total Variation Diminishing (TVD) Schemes for Steady-State Calculations, AIAA Paper No. 83–1902, Proc. of the AIAA 6th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Danvers, Mass., July, 1983, also in J. Comp. Phys., 57, 327–360 (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, R.F. Warming and A. Harten, Application of TVD Schemes for the Euler Equations of Gas Dynamics, Proceedings of the AMS-SIAM Summer Seminar on Large-Scale Computation in Fluid Mechanics June 27–July 8, 1983, Lectures in Applied Mathematics, 22 (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, Linearized Form of Implicit TVD Schemes for the Multidimensional Euler and Navier-Stokes Equations, Advances in Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations, a special issue of Intl. J. Comp. Math. Appl., to appear.Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee and A. Harten, Implicit TVD Schemes for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws in Curvilinear Coordinates, AIAA Paper No. 85–1513-CP, Proc. of the AIAA 7th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Cinn., Ohio, July 15–17, 1985.Google Scholar
- P.L. Roe, Generalized Formulation of TVD Lax-Wendroff Schemes, ICASE Report No. 84–53, October 1984.Google Scholar
- S.F. Davis, TVD Finite Difference Schemes and Artificial Viscosity, ICASE Report No. 84–20, June 1984.Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, Construction of Explicit and Implicit Symmetric TVD Schemes and Their Applications, J. Comp. Phys., to appear.Google Scholar
- P.K. Sweby, High Resolution Schemes Using Flux Limiters for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws, U.C.L.A. Report, June 1983, Los Angeles, Calif.Google Scholar