Construction of a Class of Symmetric TVD Schemes
A one-parameter family of second-order explicit and implicit total variation diminishing (TVD) schemes is reformulated so that a simplier and wider group of limiters is included. The resulting scheme can be viewed as a symmetrical algorithm with a variety of numerical dissipation terms that are designed for weak solutions of hyperbolic problems. This is a generalization of Roe and Davis’s recent works to a wider class of symmetric schemes other than Lax-Wendroff. The main properties of the present class of schemes are that they can be implicit, and, when steady-state calculations are sought, the numerical solution is independent of the time step.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P.L. Roe, Some Contributions to the Modelling of Discontinuous Flows, Proceedings of the AMS-SIAM Summer Seminar on Large-Scale Computation in Fluid Mechanics June 27–July 8, 1983, Lectures in Applied Mathematics, 22 (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, R.F. Warming and A. Harten, Implicit Total Variation Diminishing (TVD) Schemes for Steady-State Calculations, AIAA Paper No. 83–1902, Proc. of the AIAA 6th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Danvers, Mass., July, 1983, also in J. Comp. Phys., 57, 327–360 (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, R.F. Warming and A. Harten, Application of TVD Schemes for the Euler Equations of Gas Dynamics, Proceedings of the AMS-SIAM Summer Seminar on Large-Scale Computation in Fluid Mechanics June 27–July 8, 1983, Lectures in Applied Mathematics, 22 (1985).Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, Linearized Form of Implicit TVD Schemes for the Multidimensional Euler and Navier-Stokes Equations, Advances in Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations, a special issue of Intl. J. Comp. Math. Appl., to appear.Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee and A. Harten, Implicit TVD Schemes for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws in Curvilinear Coordinates, AIAA Paper No. 85–1513-CP, Proc. of the AIAA 7th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Cinn., Ohio, July 15–17, 1985.Google Scholar
- P.L. Roe, Generalized Formulation of TVD Lax-Wendroff Schemes, ICASE Report No. 84–53, October 1984.Google Scholar
- S.F. Davis, TVD Finite Difference Schemes and Artificial Viscosity, ICASE Report No. 84–20, June 1984.Google Scholar
- H.C. Yee, Construction of Explicit and Implicit Symmetric TVD Schemes and Their Applications, J. Comp. Phys., to appear.Google Scholar
- P.K. Sweby, High Resolution Schemes Using Flux Limiters for Hyperbolic Conservation Laws, U.C.L.A. Report, June 1983, Los Angeles, Calif.Google Scholar