The preceding chapter was concerned with basic assumptions and theorems used in the plastic analysis and design of steel structures. In the following two chapters we shall present two basic methods of plastic analysis and design. In this chapter, we shall present the plastic analysis and design technique known as the “equilibrium method,” based on the lower-bound theorem. In the next chapter, the plastic analysis and design technique known as the “work method,” based on the upper-bound theorem, will be presented.
KeywordsAssure Dition Tral Nism Flange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.1Chen, W.F., and Lui, E.M., Structural Stability: Theory and Implementation, Elsevier, New York, 486 pp., 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.2Chen, W.F., and Lui, E.M., Stability Design of Steel Frames, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 380 pp., 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.3Cheong-Siat-Moy, F., “Consideration of Secondary Effects in Frame Design,” Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 103, ST10, pp. 2005–2019, 1972.Google Scholar
- 4.4Rosenblueth, E., “Slenderness Effects in Buildings,” Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 91, ST1, pp. 229–252, 1965.Google Scholar
- 4.5Stevens, L.K., “Elastic Stability of Practical Multistory Frames,” Proceedings of Civil Engineering, 36, London, England, 1967.Google Scholar
- 4.6Yura, J.A., Elements for Teaching Load and Resistance Factor Design, AISC, Chicago, IL, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.7Galambos, T.V., “Inelastic Lateral Buckling of Beams,” Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 89, ST5, pp. 217–242, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.8Galambos, T.V., and Fukumoto, Y., “Inelastic Lateral-Torsional Buckling of Beam-Columns,” Bulletin No. 115, Welding Research Council, July 1966.Google Scholar
- 4.9Nethercot, D.A., and Trahair, N.S., “Inelastic Lateral Buckling of Determinate Beams,” Journal of Structural Division, ASCE, 102, ST4, pp. 701–717, 1976.Google Scholar
- 4.10Salmon, C.G., and Johnson, J.E., Steel Structures: Design and Behavior, Emphasizing Load and Resistance Factor Design, third edition, Harper and Row, New York, p. 1086, 1990.Google Scholar