Actin Polymerization and Gel Osmotic Swelling in Tumor Cell Pseudopod Formation
Active tumor cell motility has long been appreciated to play a major role in invasion and metastasis. Tumor cells exhibit an amoeboid movement similar to that of polymorphonuclear (PMN) leukocytes and the lower eukaryote Dictyostelium, characterized by pseudopod protrusion at the leading edge of the cell (Oster and Perelson 1987; Guirguis et al 1987; Condeelis 1992; Condeelis et al 1988, 1990, 1992; Stossel 1989, 1990, 1993; Usami et al 1992; Liotta 1992). Most of the current knowledge of mechanisms of amoeboid Chemotaxis is derived from studies of PMN leukocytes and Dictyostelium amoebae, which have revealed many similarities between the two different eukaryotic models.
KeywordsPermeability Migration Sucrose Convection Mercury
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alberts, B.; Bray, D.; Lewis, J.; Raff, M.; Roberts, K.; Watson, J.D. Molecular Biology of the Cell Garland Publishing, Inc., New York; 1983.Google Scholar
- Biot, M.A. Theory of elasticity and consolidation for a porous anisotropic solid. J. Cell Biol 26:182–185; 1955.Google Scholar
- Cassimeris, L.; Zigmond, S.H. Chemoattractant stimulation of polymorphonuclear leucocyte locomotion. Cell Biol 1:125–134; 1990.Google Scholar
- Evans, E.A.; Dembo, M. Physical model for phagocyte motility: Local growth of a contractile network from a passive body. Biomechanics of Active Movement and Deformation of Cells (Ed. Akkas, N.), NATO ASI Series H42:185–214, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-New York; 1990.Google Scholar
- Hobbie, R.K. Transport through neutral membranes. In: Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology, John Wiley-Sons, New York; 1987.Google Scholar
- Oster, G.F.; Perelson, A.S. The physics of cell motility. J. Cell Sci 8:35–54; 1987.Google Scholar
- Stossel, T.P. How cells crawl. American Scientist 78:408–423; 1990.Google Scholar
- Stracke, M.L. Aznavoorian, S.; Beckner M.; Liotta, L.; Schiffmann, E. Cell motility, a principle requirement for metastasis. In: Cell Motility Factors (Goldberg, I.D. Ed.), Birkhauser Verlag Basel/Switzerland, pp. 147–162; 1991.Google Scholar
- You, J.; Dong, C. Analysis of pseudopod formation during tumor cell migration. Submitted; 1994.Google Scholar