Genetic Structure of the HLA Region and Implication for Function
A number of human disease processes are strongly associated with certain antigens of the HLA system. Although HLA antigens, expressed on most body tissues, are the “strong” barriers to tissue transplantation, their role outside of the medical artifacts of transplantation and transfusion has not been clearly appreciated. Review of this area requires first an outline of what is known of The genes and gene products of the HLA major histocompatibility complex (MHC), followed by a summary of some of the principal disease relationships and discussion of the potential mechanisms of such associations in relation to the immunobiological role of the MHC.
KeywordsMajor Histocompatibility Complex Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis Mixed Lymphocyte Culture Membranous Glomerulonephritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alper, C. A. 1981, Complement and the MHC in The role of the major histocompatibility complex in immunobiology. (M. E. Dorf, ed.) pp 173–220, Garland STPM Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Bach, F. H., Bradley, B. A., and Yunis, E. J., 1977, Response of primed LD typing cells to homozygous typing cells, Scand. J. Immunol. 6:277.Google Scholar
- Bodmer, W. (ed.), 1978, Histocompatibility Testing 1977, Munksgaard, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Carpenter, C. B. (ed.), 1978a, Clinical Histocompatibility Testing 2, Grune & Stratton, New York.Google Scholar
- Carpenter, C. B., 1982, The major histocompatibility gene complex, in: Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 10th Edition (Petersdorf, R. G., ed.), in press, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Carpenter, C. B., Raum, D., Glass, D., and Schur, P. H., 1977, Ordering of genes for HLA antigens and complement components on the human 6th chromosome, in: HLA and Malignancy (E. Cohen, ed.), p. 9, Liss, New York.Google Scholar
- Dupont, B., Braun, D. W. Yunis, E. J. and Carpenter, C. B. 1980, HLA-D by cellular typing, in Histocompatibility Testing 1980, (P. I. Terasaki, ed.). UCLA Press, Los Angeles, pp. 229–267.Google Scholar
- Götze, D. (ed.), 1977, The Major Histocompatibility System on Man and Animals, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Kissmeyer-Nielsen, F. (ed.), 1975, Histocompatibility Testing 1975, Munksgaard, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Möller, G. (ed.), 1975, HLA and Disease, Transplant Rev. 22.Google Scholar
- van Rood, J. J., de Vries, R. R. P., and Bradley, B. A., 1981, Genetics and biology of The HLA system, in: The Role of the Major Histocompatibility Complex in Immunobiology, (Dorf, M. E., ed.), Garland STPM Presss, New York, p. 59.Google Scholar
- van Rood, J. J., Van Leeuwen, A., Termijtelen, A., and Keuning, J. J., 1976b, B cell antibodies, la-like determinants in man, Transplant. Rev. 30:122.Google Scholar