Immunopathogenesis of Murine SLE
An SLE-like disease has been investigated extensively in the (NZB × NZW) F1 mouse for well over a decade (Howie and Helyer, 1968). Clearly, these mice demonstrate many immunologic, virologic, and other abnormalities and it has been extremely difficult to determine which, if any of these, are primary etiologic factors of the SLE-like syndrome and which are secondary to the disease or even merely peculiarities of New Zealand mice. Among postulated etiologic factors of this murine disease are: retroviruses or their products (Dixon et al., 1974; Yoshiki et al., 1974), thymic atrophy or failure (Burnet and Holmes, 1964), antithymocyte antibodies (Shirai and Mellors, 1971; Klassen et al., 1977), immunologic hyperreactivity (Playfair, 1968; Evans et al., 1968), deficiency in suppressor T cells (Barthold et al., 1974; Krakauer et al., 1976) and other subsets of T cells (Cantor et al., 1978), abnormalities of phagocytic cells (Morgan and Steward, 1976), and abnormal T-cell cytotoxicity (Botzenhardt et al., 1978).
KeywordsSystemic Lupus Erythematosus Immunologic Abnormality Thymic Atrophy Immune Complex Disease Murine Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews, B. S., Eisenberg, R. A., Theofilopoulos, A. N., Izui, S., Wilson, C. B., McConahey, P. J., Murphy, E. D., Roths, J. B., and Dixon, F. J., 1978, Spontaneous murine lupus-like syndromes: Clinical and immunopathological manifestations in several strains, J. Exp. Med. 148:1198.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Barthold, D. R., Kysela, S., and Steinberg, A. D., 1974, Decline in suppressor T cell function with age in female NZB mice, J. Immunol. 12:9.Google Scholar
- Botzenhardt, U., Klein, J., and Ziff, M., 1978, Cytotoxic reactions of NZB spleen cells with lymphocytes of MHC identical strains, Fed. Proc. 37:1373 (abstract).Google Scholar
- Dixon, F. J., Croker, B., Del Villano, B., Jensen, F. C., and Lerner, R. A., 1974, Oncornavirus infection and “auto” immune complex disease of mice, Prog. Immunol. II 5:49.Google Scholar
- Murphy, E. D., and Roths, J. B., 1976, A single gene model for massive lymphoproliferation with immune complex disease in new mouse strain MRL, in Proceedings of the 16th International Congress in Hematology, p. 69, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Murphy, E. D., and Roths, J. B., 1978, New inbred strains, Mouse News Letter 58:51.Google Scholar