Glycogen Storage in Human Skeletal Muscle
Direct determinations of the glycogen content in skeletal muscle have been performed in numerous animal experiments and detailed studies of the biochemical events in synthesis and breakdown of glycogen in muscle tissue have been performed for many years. Both the intermediate metabolism and the enzyme systems are relatively well established to-day.
KeywordsGlycogen Store Muscle Glycogen Glycogen Content Human Skeletal Muscle Glucose Infusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.AHLBORG, B., J. BERGSTRÖM, J. BROHULT, L.-G. EKELUND, and E. HULTMAN. Human muscle glycogen content and capacity for prolonged exercise after different diets. Försvarsmedicin 3: 85–100, 1967.Google Scholar
- 5.BERGSTRÖM, J. Muscle electrolytes in man. Determined by neutron activation analysis on needle biopsy specimens. A study on normal subjects, kidney patients, and patients with chronic diarrhoea. Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 14: Suppl. 68, 1962.Google Scholar
- 6.BERGSTRÖM, J., G. GUARNIERI, and E. HULTMAN. Carbohydrate metabolism and electrolyte changes in human muscle tissue during heavy work. Accepted for publication in J. Appl. Physiol.Google Scholar
- 7.BERGSTRÖM, J., R.C. HARRIS, E. HULTMAN, and L.-O. NORDESJÖ. Energy rich phosphagens in dynamic and static work. Presented at the Symposium of Muscle Metabolism during Exercise, 6–9 Sept., 1970, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- 12.HUIJING, F., F.Q. NUTTALL, C. VILLAR-PALASI, and J. LARNER. UDPglucose: α-1, 4-glucanα-4-glucosyltransferase in heart regulation of the activity of the transferase in vivo and in vitro in rat. A dissociation in the action of insulin on transport and on transferase conversion. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 177: 204–212, 1969.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.HULTMAN, E. Studies on muscle metabolism of glycogen and active phosphate in man with special reference to exercise and diet. Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 19: Suppl. 94, 1967.Google Scholar
- 14.HULTMAN, E. Muscle glycogen stores and prolonged exercise. In: Frontiers of Fitness.Ed: R.J. SHEPHARD. Toronto, Canada: The Canadian Asssociation of Sports Science, 1970.Google Scholar
- 17.NARAHARA, H.T. and C.F. CORI. Hormonal control of carbohydrate metabolism in muscle. In: Carbohydrate Metabolism and its Disorders. Eds: F. DICKENS, P.J. RANDLE, and W.J. WHELAN. London and New York: Academic Press. 1: 375–395, 1968.Google Scholar
- 21.ROCH-NORLUND, A.E., J. BERGSTRÖM, H. CASTENFORS, and E. HULTMAN. Muscle glycogen in patients with diabetes mellitus. Glycogen content before treatment and the effect of insulin. Acta Med. Soand. 187: 445 453, 1970.Google Scholar