Metabolism of Free Fatty Acids and Ketone Bodies in Skeletal Muscle
Evaluation of the free fatty acid (FFA) metabolism in skeletal muscle at rest and during exercise has been rendered difficult by the finding of simultaneous release and uptake of FFA from muscle tissue (6, 14). Analysis of local FFA uptake and oxidation in muscle has therefore been based on the use of isotopic techniques (7, 11). The human forearm is a useful model for such studies both at rest and during exercise since it posesses a dominant single artery blood supply into which a tracer substance may be infused and venous blood can be obtained almost exclusively from muscle tissue via the deep forearm veins (12).
KeywordsCatheter Glycerol Lactate Citrate Adenosine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ATKINSON, D. E. Citrate and the citrate cycle in regulation of energy metabolism. In: Metabolic roles of Citrate ed. T.W. Goodwin. London: Acad Press, 1968, p. 23–40.Google Scholar
- 5.HAGENFELDT, L. Gas chromatographic determination of organic acids in blood. Arkiv Kemi. 29:63–73, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.RAVEL, R.J., L.A. CARLSON, L-G. EKELUND, AND A. HOLMGREN. Turnover rate and oxidation of different fatty acids in man during exercise. J. Appl. Physiol. 19:613–618, 1964.Google Scholar
- 10.RAVEL, R.J., L-G. EKELUND, AND A. HOLMGREN. Kinetic analysis of the oxidation of palmitate-1-14C in man during prolonged heavy muscular exercise. J. Lipid. Res. 8:366–373, 1967.Google Scholar
- 11.RAVEL, R.J., B. PERNOW, AND N.L. JONES. Uptake andrelease of free fatty acids and other metabolites in the legs of exercising men. J. Appl. Physiol. 23: 90–96, 1967.Google Scholar
- 13.KLINGENBERG, M., AND E. PFAFF. Metabolic control in mitochondria by adenine nucleotide translocation, In: Metabolic Roles of Citrate, ed. T.W. Goodwin. London: Acad Press, 1968, p. 105–120.Google Scholar
- 15.WAHREN, J. Quantitative aspects of blood flow and oxygen uptake in the human forearm during rhythmic exercise. Acta Physiol.Scand. 67: Suppl. 269, 1–93, 1966.Google Scholar