Preparation of Cationic Polyelectrolytes by Spontaneous Polymerization
In recent years the preparation and study of cationic polyelectrolytes have been of considerable interest. This field has recently been reviewed (1), and it can be noted that the syntheses of these water-soluble polyions has been concerned primarily with the preparation of ionene polymers (2) by polycondensation reactions, with the polymerization of cationic vinyl monomers in which the positively charged site is located far from and not in resonance with the reactive double bond, and with the quaternization of preformed, nucleophilic polymers. In general, there have been few studies on the preparation of cationic polyelectrolytes from monomers in which the positive charge is in resonance with the double bond. Furthermore, of the quaternary vinyl monomers that have been prepared, several have been shown not to undergo polymerization (1).
KeywordsStrong Acid Methyl Iodide Vinyl Monomer Dimethyl Sulfate Cationic Polyelectrolyte
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. F. Hoover, J. Macromol. Sci. Chem., A4, 1327 (1970).Google Scholar
- 2.Terminology used by Rembaum and co-workers for the introduction of ionic amine units in the polymer main chain; see also the chapter by S. P. S. Yen, D. Casson, and A. Rembaum.Google Scholar
- 3.V. A. Kabanov, K. V. Aliev, T. I. Patrikeeva, O. V. Kargina, and V. A. Kargin, J. Polym. Sci., Part C, 16, 1079 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Kabanov, O. V. Kargina, and V. A. Petrovskaya, Vyskomol. Soedin., 13 (2), 348 (1971), and the references cited therein.Google Scholar
- 6.J. C. Salamone, B. Snider, and W. L. Fitch, J. Polym. Sci., Part B, 9, 13 (1970); Polym. Preprints, 11, (2), 652 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.I. Mielke and H. Ringsdorf, J. Polym. Sci., Part C, 31, 107 (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.I. Mielke and H. Ringsdorf, J. Polym. Sci., Part B, 9, 1 (1971).Google Scholar
- 12.J. C. Salamone, E. J. Ellis, and S. C. Israel, Polym. Preprints, 12, (2), 185 (1971).Google Scholar
- 13.J. C. Salamone, E. J. Ellis, and S. C. Israel, Polym. Preprints, 13 (1), 276 (1972).Google Scholar
- 14.J. C. Salamone, E. J. Ellis, and C. R. Wilson, in preparation.Google Scholar