Ultrahigh Resolution Saturated Absorption Spectroscopy
In this paper we report our progress in the search for super narrow lines, our present state of the art in the line shrinking business and what looks like the way towards still higher resolution based on our current knowledge of the broadening mechanisms.
KeywordsMethane Manifold Iodine Expense Resi
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.H. J. Gerritsen and M. E. Heller, Appl. Opt. Suppl. #2, 73 (1965). See also K. Sakurai and K. Shimoda, Japan J. Appl. Phys. 5, 744 (1966).Google Scholar
- 4.In their June, 1973, Paris meeting, the Comité Consultatif pour la Définition du Mètre recommended a wavelength value for the methane P(7) F component, λ = 3392231.4 x 10-12 m. They also recommended a value for a certain iodine transition at.633 µm and for the speed of light, c = 299,792,458 m/sec. The assigned fractional uncertainties of these quantities is ±4 x 10-9.Google Scholar
- 8.J. A. Magyar and J. L. Hall, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 17, 67 (1972); and J. A. Magyar, to be published.Google Scholar
- 11.G. Herzberg, Electronic Spectra of Polyatomic Molecules (Van Nostrand, Princeton, N.J., 1967), p. 102.Google Scholar
- 13.J. T. Hougen, private communication.Google Scholar
- 14.J. T. Hougen, 28th Symposium on MOlecular Structure and Spectroscopy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, June, 1973; and to be published.Google Scholar
- 17.The recoil splitting quoted in Ref. 3, 2.4 kHz, is unfortunately in error. The proper splitting is 2.44 x 10-11 fractional shift, which is 2.16 kHz.Google Scholar
- 18.A. P. Kol’chenko, S. G. Rautian, and R. I. Sokolovskii, ZhETF 55, 1864 (1968) [Sov. Phys. — JETP 28, 986 (1969)].Google Scholar
- 19.R. L. Smith, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 61, 1015 (1971); also H. Wahlquist, J. Chem. Phys. 35, 1708 (1961).Google Scholar
- 20.J. L. Hall, in Atomic Physics 3 edited by S. J. Smith and G. K. Walters (Plenum, New York, 1973), pp. 615–646.Google Scholar
- 21.J. L. Hall and Ch. Bordé, Proceedings of the 27th Annual Symposium on Frequency Control, Cherry Hill, N. J. (June 1973).Google Scholar