The Effect of Chronic Stimulation of Cerebellar Cortex on Epilepsy in Man
The purpose of this report is to summarize our observations of the effects of chronic stimulation of the cerebellar cortex in 7 patients with intractable epilepsy and one patient totally incapacitated by generalized intention myoclonus. These 8 patients represent part of a series of 28 cases in whom we have attempted to utilize the inhibitory function of cerebellar cortex to achieve a therapeutic modification of motor behavior. The remaining 20 patients were incapacitated by various types of spasticity and/or rigidity. Preliminary results in this latter group have been reported separately (Cooper, Crighel, & Amin, 1973).
KeywordsCerebellar Cortex Seizure Frequency Anterior Lobe Chronic Stimulation Cerebellar Stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- COOPER, I.S., AMIN, I., & GILMAN, S. The effect of chronic cerebellar stimulation upon epilepsy in man. Tr. Am. Neur. Assn. 98: (in press) 1973.Google Scholar
- COOPER, I.S., CRIGHEL, E., & AMIN, I. Clinical and physiological effects of stimulation of the paleocerebellum in humans. J. Amer. Geriatr. Soc. 21:40–43, 1973.Google Scholar
- COOPER, I.S. & GILMAN, S. Chronic stimulation of the cerebellar cortex in the therapy of epilepsy in the human. In Field, W.S. (Ed.) ‘Neural Organization and its Relevance to Proesthetics’. New York: Intercontinental Book Corp., 1973, pp. 371–375.Google Scholar
- DOW, R.S. Personal Communication, 1973.Google Scholar
- ECCLES, J.C., ITO, M., & SZENTAGOTHAI, J. ‘The Cerebellum as a Neuronal Machine’. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1967.Google Scholar
- FULTON, J.F. The cerebellum reconsidered. Chapt. IV in ‘Functional Localization in Relation to Frontal Lobotomy’. New York: Oxford University Press, 1949.Google Scholar
- HENNEMAN, E., COOKE, P.M., & SNIDER, R.S. Cerebellar projections to the cerebral cortex. Res. Publ. Ass. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 30:317–333, 1952.Google Scholar
- MORUZZI, G. ‘Problems in Cerebellar Physiology’. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas, 1950.Google Scholar
- SNIDER, R.S. Personal Communication, 1973.Google Scholar
- WALKER, A.E. An oscillographic study of the qerebro-cerebellar relationships. J. Neurophysiol. 1:16–23, 1938.Google Scholar