The Effects Of Cerebellar Stimulation On the Averaged Sensory Evoked Responses in the Cat
Although photic, auditory and somatosensory evoked responses can be recorded on the cerebellum (Snider & Stowell, 1944), and stimulations of the cerebellum can produce evoked responses in the sensory areas of the cerebral cortex (Henneman, Cooke, & Snider, 1950), it is not clearly understood what effect, if any, the cerebellum might have on the perception of sensory information at the cerebral cortical levels. Vague sensations have, however, been produced by stimulating with chronic depth electrodes in the cerebellum of awake humans (Nashold & Slaughter, 1969).
KeywordsFormaldehyde Catheter Cobalt Neurol Peri
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- DOW, R.S. & MORUZZI, G. “The Physiology and Pathology of the Cerebellum”. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1958.Google Scholar
- HENNEMAN, E., COOKE, P.M., & SNIDER, R.S. Cerebellar projections to the cerebral cortex. Res. Publ. Assoc. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 30:317–333, 1950.Google Scholar
- ITO, M., UDO, M., & MANO, S. In Eccles, J.C., Ito, M., & Szentigothai, J. (Eds.) “The Cerebellum as a Neuronal Machine”. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1967.Google Scholar
- KING, E.E., NAQUET, R., & MAGOUN, H.W. Alterations in somatic afferent transmission through the thalamus by central mechanisms and barbiturates. J. Pharm. Exp. Therap. 119:48–63, 1957.Google Scholar
- MORUZZI, G. “Problems in Cerebellar Physiology”. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas, 1950.Google Scholar
- SNIDER, R.S. & STOWELL, A. Receiving areas of the tactile, auditory, and visual systems in the cerebellum. J. Neurophysiol. 7: 331–357, 1944.Google Scholar
- SNIDER, R. S. & SATO, K. Some cerebellar influences on evoked cerebral auditory response. Fed. Proc. 17:152, 1958.Google Scholar
- SNIDER, R. S. & NIEMER, W. T. “A Stereotactic Atlas of the Cat Brain”. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1961.Google Scholar
- Voogd, J. “The Cerebellum of the Cat”. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Co., 1964, pp. 130–201.Google Scholar