Biochemical Dissection of the Cerebellum— Enzyme Composition of Subcellular Fractions, Including Complex Structures Derived from the Cerebellar Glomeruli
The goal of our subcellular fractionation studies of the cerebellum was to obtain pure, morphologically well-defined structures that could be used to help solve biochemical problems. As there were initially no other means of determining the composition of the various isolated fractions, electron microscopic examinations were of paramount importance [see Chapter 21 (ii) in this volume]. As the first step in biochemical characterization, we will describe our studies of the enzyme composition of various cerebellar fractions.
KeywordsMyelinated Axon Choline Acetyltransferase ChAT Activity Axon Segment Relative Specific Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crawford, J. M., Curtis, D. R., Voorheve, P. E., and Wilson, V. J., 1966, Acetylcholine sensitivity of cerebellar neurones in the cat, J. Physiol (London) 186: 139–165.Google Scholar
- De Robertis, E., Pellegrino De Iraldi, A., Rodriguez De Lores Arnaiz, G., and Salganicoff, L., 1962, Cholinergic and non-cholinergic nerve endings in rat brain. I. J. Neurochem. 9: 23–35.Google Scholar
- Eccles, J. C., Ito, M., and Szentagothai, S., 1967, “The Cerebellum as a Neuronal Machine,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Fonnum, F., 1968, Choline acetyltransferase binding to and release from membranes, Biochemical J. 109: 389–398.Google Scholar
- Lemkey-Johnston, N., and Larramendi, L. M. H., 1968, The separation and identification of fractions of non-myelinated axons from the cerebellum of cat, Exp. Brain Res. 5: 326–340.Google Scholar
- Reijnierse, G. L. A., 1973, Heterogeneity of mitochondria in developing brain, Thesis, University of Leiden, Leiden, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Wilkin, G. P., 1975, Biochemical and morphological characteristics of perikarya and subcellular structures including specific types of nerve terminals isolated from the rat cerebellum, Ph.D. thesis, Council for National Academic Awards.Google Scholar