Contribution to the Study of 3d4 Ions in Al2O3 and MgO by Low Temperature Thermal Conductivity Measurements Under Uniaxial Stress
It is well known that 3d4 ions in cubic or trigonal symetry show a dynamic Jahn-Teller effect in the fundamental orbital doublet 5E. From previous measurements by A.P.R., and low temperature thermal conductivity , theoretical models have been proposed for Cr2+ in MgO and Al2O3, in the limit of a small inversion splitting δ . The coupling constant b VE can be determined from the variation of the vibronic energy levels due to an applied stress, and this can be done by measuring the changes of the thermal conductivity K.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Marschall G. and Rampton V.W. (1968) J.Phys.C., p 594Google Scholar
- Rivallin J. (1974) Thèse d’état, Grenoble (France)Google Scholar
- Tefft W.E. (1966) J.of Research of N.B.S. A 70A N° 4 p 277Google Scholar
- Oliver and Boyd (1966) in Phonons in Perfect Lattices and in lattice with some defects, edited by Stevenson R.W.H.Google Scholar
- Lange J.N. (1973) Phys.Rev.B 8, N°12, p 5999Google Scholar