Magnetic Regimes in Amorphous Ni-Fe-P-B Alloys
A complete substitution of iron for nickel has been obtained by splat-cooling in amorphous alloys of composition (Ni100−yFey)79P13B8. Results of high field magnetization (up to 70 kOe), ac and dc low field susceptibility, Curie temperature and resistivity measurements over a temperature range of 1.7 to 300°K are reported. The Ni79P13B8 alloy is not ferromagnetic, but the magnetization behavior as a function of field and temperature is typically that of alloys in the critical concentration range for ferromagnetism. The Fe79P13B8 alloy is ferromagnetic with a Curie temperature Tc of 616°K. For y = 1 at.%, the Fe atoms are magnetic. The variation of the moment per Fe atom as a function of y is discussed. When y is increased, the Ni atoms are likely to be polarized progressively and the moment per Ni atom would be roughly constant for y ≥ 30 at.%. Various magnetic regimes were defined as a function of the Fe content. The value of Tc reaches a maximum for y ≃ 90 at.%, and extrapolates to zero for y ≃ 7 at.%. Alloys within the range 1 ≤ y ≤ 10 at.% did not exhibit well-defined Curie transition, but sharp maxima in low field susceptibility measurements were observed at TM.
KeywordsCurie Temperature Amorphous Alloy Magnetic Phase Diagram Initial Susceptibility Magnetic Regime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See the recent reviews of P. A. Beck, Met. Trans. 2, 2015 (1971); R. Tournier, L. T. 13, Boulder, Colorado, 1972, edit. K. D. Timmerhaus, W. J. O’sullivan and E. F. Hammel, (Plenum, New York 1974), vol. 2, p. 257; J. A. Mydosh, AIP Conf. Proc. 24, 131 (1974); J. P. Perrier and J. L. Tholence, J. Phys. (Paris) 35, C4, 163 (1974).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.A. Amamou, R. Caudron, P. Costa, J. M. Friedt, F. Gautier and B. Loegei, L. T. 14, Otaniemi, Finland, 1975, edit. M. Krusius and M. Vuorio, (North Holland, Amsterdam), (1975), vol. 3, p. 254, and to be published in J. Phys. F.Google Scholar
- 8.B. V. Sarkissian and B. R. Coles, Commun. Phys. 1, 17 (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.A. Amamou, Joint MMM. Intermag Conf. Pittsburgh 1976 (to be published in IEEE Trans. Mag.)Google Scholar
- 16.J. Durand, Joint MMM. Intermag Conf. Pittsburgh 1976 (to be published in IEEE Trans. Mag.)Google Scholar
- 17.A. Amamou and J. Durand, Commun. Phys. 1, 191 (1976).Google Scholar
- 23.J. Durand and M. Yung, this conference.Google Scholar
- 26.J. Durand, to be published.Google Scholar
- 28.F. Gautier, Ann. Phys. (Paris) 8, 284 and sq. (1973-74).Google Scholar
- 30.A. Blanc, E. Fruchart and R. Fruchart, Ann. Chim. 2, 251 (1967).Google Scholar
- 31.A. Rouault and R. Fruchart, Ann. Chim. 5, 335 (1970).Google Scholar