Fitness and the Aging Process
One summer not too long ago, I rocked on the porch of a run-down cabin overlooking the Atlantic Ocean at Bar Harbor, Maine, and watched a grey and white adult herring gull preening itself on a craggy rock on the beach. It was high noon, and the tide was coming in. I wondered when the middle-aged bird would take off. Just as the water engulfed the rock, the gull swooped off into the sky.
KeywordsFatigue Arthritis Dioxide Depression Anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astrand, P.-O. and Rodahl, K. (1970) Textbook of Work Physiology, Chapter 4, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York.Google Scholar
- Birren, J.E., Imus, H.A., and Windle, W.F., (Eds.) (1959) The Process of Aging on the Nervous System Charle C Thomas, Springfield, p. 144.Google Scholar
- Brody, H. (1970) In Interdisciplinary Topics in Gerontology Vol. 7 (H.T. Blumenthal, ed.), S. Karger, New York, p. 9.Google Scholar
- de Vries, H.A. (1966) Physiology of Exercise for Physical Education and Athletics, William C. Brown, Dubuque.Google Scholar
- de Vries, H.A. (1974) Vigor Regained Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs.Google Scholar
- Harris, R. (1970) The Management of Geriatric Cardiovascular Disease, J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Harris, R. (1974) NY State J Med 74, 972.Google Scholar
- Harris, R. (1975) In Physical Exercise & Activity for the Aging (U. Simri, ed.), Proceedings of an International Seminar, Wingate Institute for Physical Education and Sport, Wingate, Israel.Google Scholar
- Kreitler, H., and Kreitler, S.H. (1970) In Medicine and Sport, Vol 4: Physical Activity and Aging (D. Brunnerand and E. Jokl, eds.), Karger, Basel, p. 302.Google Scholar
- Murray, M.P., Drought, A.B., and Kory, R.C. (1964) J Bone Joint Surg 46-A:335.Google Scholar
- Shock, N.W. and Norris, A.H. (1970) In Medicine and Sport, Vol. 4: Physical Activity and Aging (D. Brunner and E. Jokl, eds.), Karger, Basel, p. 92.Google Scholar
- Wyrick-Spirduso, W. (1975) (in preparation).Google Scholar