Impotence in Diabetics
As documented in the preceding article by Ellenberg, the incidence of erectile failure in diabetic men is over 50%. While recognizing that diabetes can produce both neurological and vascular damage leading to loss of erectile capability, Renshaw emphasizes that at least some diabetic impotence is functional, not organic. In this chapter, Renshaw discusses the use of sex therapy in cases of diabetic erectile failure.
In the last half of the chapter, the author discusses the use and misuse of implanted penile protheses for diabetic men. This material was written especially for this volume and updates the author’s earlier work on diabetic impotence.
KeywordsSugar Depression Amid Testosterone Neuropathy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Medical Systems, 3312 Gorham Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55426.Google Scholar
- Controversy of penile implants for impotence. Medical World News, 1977, 16(1), 25–27.Google Scholar
- Ellenberg, M. Impotence in diabetics: The neural factor. American Internal Medicine, 1972, 75, 213–219.Google Scholar
- Ellenberg, M., and Weber, H. Retrograde ejaculation in diabetic neuropathy. American Internal Medicine, 1966, 65, 1237–1246.Google Scholar
- Faerman, I., Glocer, L., Fox, D., Jadzinsky, M., and Rapaport, M. Impotence and diabetes. Excerpta Medica. 8th Congress of International Diabetes Federation, Brussels, Belgium, July 15–20, 1973.Google Scholar
- For organic impotence: Implants. Medical World News, June 21, 1974, p. 17.Google Scholar
- Gee, W. F. Ejaculatory difficulties with penile prosthesis. Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, 1977, 11(2), 97.Google Scholar
- Karacan, I. Clinical value of nocturnal erection in the prognosis and diagnosis of impotence. Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, 1970, 4, 27–34.Google Scholar
- Levin, S. B. Marital sexual dysfunction: Erectile dysfunction. Annals of Internal Medicine, 1976, 85, 342–350.Google Scholar
- Renshaw, D. C. Psychosomatic manifestations of depression. Sexual dysfunctions in depression. Excerpta Medica, 1974, 86–105.Google Scholar
- Schuster, K. Small-Carrion penile prosthesis. Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 1976, 51(6), 336–338.Google Scholar