Infusion Chemotherapy for Soft Tissue Sarcomas
Adriamycin has formed the backbone of sarcoma chemotherapy since its introduction into clinical practice. The pioneering studies in this field by the late Dr. Jeffrey Gottlieb demonstrated modest but definite improvement in response rate, remission duration and survival when Adriamycin was combined with DIC and slight further improvement with the addition of cyclophosphamide [1–5]. Other drugs have been relatively ineffective, and the CyVADIC regimen, introduced in 1973, remains the standard of sarcoma chemotherapy [3–5]. Review of the data from our own institution from 1973–1977 revealed an 18% complete remission rate and a 49% complete plus partial remission rate in 169 patients treated with the CyVADIC regimen . Patients who achieve complete remission have the potential for long term survival, and this is true whether the complete remission is a response to chemotherapy alone or to chemotherapy and surgery . Unfortunately, maintenance chemotherapy without adriamycin has been ineffective, and the majority of patients relapse after adriamycin has been discontinued to prevent cardiac toxicity.
KeywordsToxicity Catheter Oncol Sarcoma Dimethyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gottlieb JA, Benjamin RS, Baker LH, O’Bryan RM, Sinkovics JG, Hoogstraten B, Quagliana JM, Rivkin SE, Bodey GP, Rodriquez V, Blumenschein GR, Saiki JH, Coltman C, Jr., Burgess MA, Sullivan P, Thigpen T, Bottomley R, Balcerzak S, Moon RE: Role of DTIC in the chemotherapy of sarcomas. Cancer Treat Rep 60: 199–203, 1976.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gottlieb JA, Baker LH, O’Bryan RM, Sinkovics JG, Hoogstraten B, Quagliana JM, Rivkin SE, Bodey GP, Rodriquez VT, Blumenschein GR, Saiki JH, Coltman C, Jr, Burgess MA, Sullivan P, Thigpen T, Bottomley R, Balcerzak S, Moon TE: Adriamycin used alone and in combination for soft tissue and bony sarcomas. Cancer Chemother Rep 6: 271–282, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.Benjamin RS, Baker LH, Rodriguez V, Moon TE, O’Bryan RM, Stephens RL, Sinkovics JG, Thigpen T, King GW, Bottomley R, Groppe CW, Jr, Bodey GP, Gottlieb JA: The chemotherapy of soft tissue sarcomas in adults. In: Management of Primary Bone and Soft Tissue Thors. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publisher, 1977, pp 309–315.Google Scholar
- Yap BS, Baker LH, Sinkovics JG, Rivkin SE, Bottomley R, Thigpen T, Burgess MA, Benjamin RS, Bodey GP: Cyclophosphamide, Vincristine, Adriamycin, and DTIC combination chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced sarcomas. Cancer Treat Rep 64: 93–98, 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.Yap BS, Rasmussen SL, Burgess MA, Sinkovics JG, Benjamin RS, Bodey GP: Prognostic factors in adults with advanced soft tissue sarcomas. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 21: 473, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.Yap BS, Sinkovics JG, Benjamin RS, Bodey GP: Survival and relapse patterns of complete responders in adults with advanced soft tissue sarcomas. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 20: 352, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Legha SS, Benjamin RS, Mackay B, Ewer M, Wallace S, Valdivieso M, Rasmussen SL, Blumenschein GR, Freireich EJ: Reduction of doxorubicin cardiotoxicity by prolonged continuous intravenous infusion. Ann Inter Med 96: 133–139, 1982.Google Scholar