Surgery for Myocardial Ischemia and Complications of Myocardial Infarction
The era of open-heart surgery by extracorporeal circulation began during the 1950’s1–4. As techniques of bypass became simplified and as non-blood prime techniques were introduced, the method came into widespread use. Not until the late 1970’s, however, when coronary bypass surgery was introduced, did expansion in open-heart surgery extend to hospitals which previously had not been identified as centers for treatment of heart disease. In the year 1980, 171,667 open-heart operations were performed in 636 hospitals throughout the United States, and fully two-thirds were for treatment of coronary arterial disease and its complications5.
KeywordsMitral Regurgitation Ventricular Septal Defect Coronary Bypass Internal Mammary Artery Cardioplegic Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.W. Lillehei, M. Cohen, and H.E. Warden, et al., The direct-vision intracardiac correction of congenital anomalies by controlled cross circulation, Surgery 38:11 (1955).Google Scholar
- 4.R.D. Bloodwell, J.N. Kidd, and G.L. Hallman, Valve replacement without coronary perfusion: Clinical and laboratory observations, in: “Prosthetic Heart Valves,” L.A. Brewer ed., Springfield 111 Thomas, 1959, pp. 397–418 (1957).Google Scholar
- 5.National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute’s Fact Book, US Dept of HEW, National Institutes of Health, NIH Publication No.80–1674, Bethesda, Maryland. (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.D.A. Cooley, Revascularization of the ischemic myocardium, J.Thorac.Cardiovasc.Surg. 78(2):301 (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.F.M. Sandiford, D.A. Cooley, and D.C. Wukasch, The aortocoronary bypass operation: An overview based on 10,000 operations at theTexas Heart Institute, Intl.Surg. 63(4):83 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.F.M. Sones Jr., and E.K. Shirey, Cinecoronary arteriography. Mod.Concepts Cardiovasc.Dis. 31:735 (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.D.A. Cooley and J.C. Norman, in: “Techniques in Cardiac Surgery,“ pp. 153–156 Texas.Medical PreSS, Houston (1975).Google Scholar
- 14.L. Watkins Jr., M. Mirowski, M.M. Mower, P.R. Reid, L.S.C. Griffith, S.C. Vlay, M.L. Weisfeldt, and V.L. Gott, Automatic defibrillation in man: The initial surgical experience, J.Thorac. Cardiovasc.Surg. 82(4).:492 (1981).Google Scholar