Eddy-Current Probe Design
This paper describes theoretical and experimental work directed toward finding the optimum probe dimensions and operating frequency for eddy current detection of half-penny surface cracks in nonmagnetic conducting materials. The study applies to probes which excite an approximately uniform spatial field over the length of the crack at the surface of the material. In practical terms, this means that the probe is not smaller than the crack length in any of its critical dimensions.
KeywordsRecording Head Ferrite Core Coil Probe Horizontal Dipole Pancake Coil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B.A. Auld, Probe-flaw interactions and inversion processes, Interim Report for Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, Contract SC-81-011, March 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.A.J. Bahr, Analysis and design of eddy current measurement systems, Interim Report for Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, Contract SC-81-008, March 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.T.G. Kincaid, A theory of eddy current NDE for cracks in nonmagnetic materials, Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 1, Plenum Publishing Corp., 1982.Google Scholar
- 5.B.A. Auld, Quantitative modeling of flaw response in eddy current testing, Fourth Monthly Report, Electric Power Research Institute, Contract No. RPI395-3, February 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.A.J. Bahr and D.W. Cooley, Analysis and design of eddy current measurement systems, Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 2, Plenum Publishing Corp., 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.A.J. Bahr, Novel eddy current probe development, SRI International Report AFWAL-TR-81-4159 to Air Force Wright Aeronautical Laboratories, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433, December 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.J.P. Watjen and A.J. Bahr, Evaluation of a novel eddy current probe, Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 2, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.F. Muennemann, B.A. Auld, C.M. Fortunko and S.A. Padget, Inversion of eddy current signals in a non-uniform probe field, Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 2, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.O. Karlqvist, Calculation of the magnetic field in the ferromagnetic layer of a magnetic drum, Trs. Roy. Inst. Technology, Stockholm, Vol. 86, 1–28, 1954.Google Scholar