Content and Structure in Moral Development: A Crucial Distinction
Studies of moral development in the Piaget and Kohlberg tradition have been the subject of growing and challenging debate as evidenced by the presentations today. Philosophers attack Kohlberg’s particular brand of philosophical reasoning. For example, R. S. Peters (1976) criticizes Kohlberg for his reluctance to consider other philosophical systems by suggesting that Kohlberg simply does not do his homework. At the same time it is not unheard of for some philosophers to allow that Kohlberg’s abilities as a social scientist, especially as a researcher, may really be quite good.
KeywordsMoral Judgment Moral Reasoning Moral Development Moral Belief Moral Education
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alston, W. P. Comments on Kohlberg’s “From is to ought.” In T. Mischel (Ed.), Cognitive development and epistemology. New York: Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Hart, H. C. Piaget’s test of immanent justice responses compared for several patient-nonpatient populations. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1962, 101,.333–341.Google Scholar
- Havighurst, R., and Neugarten, B. American Indian and white children: A sociological investigation. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955.Google Scholar
- Hoffman, M. D. Moral development. In P. H. Mussen (Ed.), Carmichael’s Manual of child psychology, 3rd ed., Vol. 2. New York: Wiley, 1970.Google Scholar
- Kohlberg, L. Moral stages and moralization. In T. Likona (Ed.), Moral development and behavior. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1976.Google Scholar
- Peters, R. S. Moral development: A plea for pluralism. In T. Mischel (Ed.), Cognitive development and epistemology. New York: Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- Peters, R. S. Why doesn’t Lawrence Kohlberg do his homework? In D. Purpel and K. Ryan (Eds.), Moral education…it comes with the territory. Berkeley: McCutchan Publishing Corporation, 1976.Google Scholar
- Selman, R. Social-cognitive understanding: A guide to educational and clinical practice. In T. Likona (Ed.), Moral development and behavior. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1976.Google Scholar
- Wright, D. The psychology of moral behavior. New York: Penguin Books, 1971.Google Scholar