A General D.C. Approach to Location Problems
We show that many important location problems (Weber’s problem with attraction and repulsion, constrained multisource and multifacility problems,…) can be formulated as d.c. optimization problems in low-dimensional spaces and thereby can be solved practically by recently developed d.c. optimization techniques. Two typical algorithms are described in detail.
KeywordsSingle facility multisource multifacility location attraction and repulsion unconstrained and constrained location d.c. approach low rank nonconvex optimization problems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.P. Chen, P. Hansen, B. Jaumard and H. Tuy: 1994, ’Solution of the multisource Weber and conditional Weber problems by D.C. Programming’, Cahier du GERAD, G-92–35, Ecole Poly technique, Montreal.Google Scholar
- 6.Z. Drezner and G. Wesolowsky: 1990,’The Weber problem on the plane with some negative weights’, INFOR, 29, 87–99.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Horst and H. Tuy: 1993, Global Optimization, Kluwer Academic Press, second edition.Google Scholar
- 12.C.D. Maranas and C.A. Floudas:1993,’A global Optimization method for Weber’s problem with attraction and repulsion’, in Large Scale Optimization: State of the Art, eds. W.W. Hager, D.W. Heran and P.M. Pardalos, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1–12.Google Scholar
- 17.F. Plastria : 1993,’Continuous location anno 1992, A progress report’, Studies in Location Analysis, 5, 85–127.Google Scholar
- 21.P.T. Thach and H. Konno: 1994,’On the degree and separability of nonconvexity and applications to optimization problems’, Preprint IHSS, Tokyo Institute of Technology. To appear in Mathematical Programming.Google Scholar
- 22.H. Tuy : 1986, ’A general deterministic approach to global optimization via d.c. programming’, in J.-B. Hiriart-Urruty ed., Fermat Days 1985: Mathematics for Optimization, North- Holland, Amsterdam, 137–162.Google Scholar
- 24.H. Tuy : 1990, ’On a polyhedral annexation method for concave minimization’, in Functional Analysis, Optimization and Mathematical Economics, eds. L.J. Leifman and J.B. Rosen, Oxford University Press, 248–260.Google Scholar
- 27.H. Tuy : 1992,’On nonconvex optimization problems with separated nonconvex variables’, 2, 133–144.Google Scholar
- 28.H. Tuy : 1995, ’D.C. Optimization: Theory, Methods and Algorithms’, in Handbook on Global Optimization, eds. R. Horst and P. Pardalos, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 149–216.Google Scholar
- 29.H. Tuy : 1993,’Introduction to Global Optimization’, a Ph.D. course, Cahiers du GERAD G-94-04.Google Scholar
- 31.H. Tuy, Faiz A. Alkhayyal and Fangjun Zhou: 1994, ’D.C. optimization method for single facility location problem’, preprint, Institute of Mathematics, Hanoi.Google Scholar