Space Oceanography: Hopes and Realities
From January 1980 in the Soviet Union a new periodical magazine of the Academy of Sciences “Earth Research from Space” is being regularly published. The magazine will appear bi-monthly and will deal with various problems of Earth sciences which require remote sensing for their solution. A number of policy statement papers have appeared in the first issue. They define major lines of research and methods of use of space information in each important natural science discipline. One of the members of the Editorial Board of the new magazine. President of SCOR, Dr. K.N. Fedorov (1980), has published in the first issue a paper entitled “Space Oceanography: Hopes and Realities” addressed chiefly to academic scientists with their preference to fundamental problems of marine science. This paper provides the background of our joint communication. Our communication aims at putting together a rather modest experience of the 5 years of preparatory work for the use of space data in oceanography, as was carried out in the Institute of Oceanology, Academy of Sciences of the USSR, and even more modest experience in practical use of such data.
KeywordsMicrowave Convection Shipping Radar Meso
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breaker, L., Klein, J. and Pitts, M., 1978, “Quantitative Measurements of Sea Surface Temperature at Several Locations Using the NOAA-3 Very High Resolution Radiometer”, NOM Technical Memorandum NESS, 98, Wash.Google Scholar
- Fedorov, K.N., 1980, “Nadezhdi i Realnosti Kosmicheskoi Okeanologii,” Issledovania Zemli iz Kosmosa, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 64–78.Google Scholar
- Fieux, M. and Stommel, H., 1975, “Preliminary Look at Feasibility of Using Marine Reports of Sea Surface Temperature for Documenting Climatic Change in the Western North Atlantic,” J. Mar. Res., 33 (suppl.), pp. 83–95.Google Scholar
- Ginzburg, A.I., Zatsepin, A.G., Fedorov, K.N., 1977, “Tonkaya Structura Termicheskogo Pogranichnogo Sloya v Vode u Poverkhnosti Razdela Vodavozdukh,” Isv. A.N. C.C.C.R., Seria Fisika Atm. I. Okeana, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 1263–1277.Google Scholar
- Ginzburg, A.I., Fedorov, K.N., 1978, “Okhlazhdenie Vody s Poverkhnosti Pri Svobodnoy i Vinuzhdennoy Konvektsii,” Isv. A.N. S.S.S.R., Seria Fiz, Atm. I Okeana, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 79–87.Google Scholar
- Cower, J.F.R. (ed.), 1978, “Passive Radiometry of the Ocean (Working Group Reports),” Pacific Marine Science Report, 18–28, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Patricia Bay, Sidney, B.C., pp. 43.Google Scholar
- Sklayrov, V.E., 1978, “Analis Materialov Sopostavlenia Sputnikovikh i Sudovikh Ismerenii Temperatury Poverkhnosti Okeana.” V.Sb, “Issledovanie Ismenchivosti Fizicheskikh Protsessov v Okeane” (K.N. Fedorov, Otv. Red.) Institut Okeanologii A.N. C.C.C.R., M., pp. 41–49.Google Scholar
- Vinogradov, V.V., Mironov, L.V., 1974, ’Vremennaya Izmenchivost Temperaturi Vodi Na Poverkhnosti v Tropicheskoy Zone Atlanticheskogo Okeana (12°c.sh, 23°z.d.),” SB “Tropex-74, Vol. P, pp. 39–45.Google Scholar