Satellite Studies of the South Atlantic Upwelling System
The southern Benguela area of the South Atlantic ocean is characterised by intermittent, wind-induced upwelling. Because of its economic importance related to the fishing industry in this area, the upwelling has been the subject of intense investigation for many years (Hart & Currie, 1960; Shannon, 1969; Visser, 1969; Andrews & Cram, 1969; Schell, 1970; De Decker, 1970; Bang, 1971; Bang, 1973; Bang & Andrews, 1974; Bang, 1976, Shannon, 1979; Shannon, Nelson & Jury, 1980). With the advent of thermal infrared sensors on satellites new avenues have been opened up to investigate this phenomenon. This report describes a number of features of the dynamics of upwelling in the area which have not been noted by conventional means, and attempts to relate them to existing knowledge.
KeywordsWind Stress South Atlantic Ocean Upwelled Water Upwelling System Agulhas Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bang, N.D., 1971, “The Southern Benguela Current Region in February 1966: Part II. Bathythermography and Air-Sea Interactions,” Deep Sea Research, 18 (2), 209–224.Google Scholar
- Bang, N.D., 1976, “On Estimating the Oceanic Mass Flux Budget of Lateral and Cross Circulations of the Southern Benguela Upwelling System,” National Research Institute for Oceanology, Internal General Report, SEA IR 7616, 14 pp.Google Scholar
- Bang, N.D. and Andrews, W.R.H., 1974, “Direct Current Measurements of a Shelf-Edge Frontal Jet in the Southern Benguela System,” Journal of Marine Research, 32 (3), 405–417.Google Scholar
- De Decker, A.H.B., 1970, “An Oxygen-Depleted Subsurface Current Off The West Coast of South Africa,” Division of Sea Fisheries, Investigational Report, 84, 24 pp.Google Scholar
- Hart, J.J. and Currie, R.I., 1960, “The Benguela Current,” ‘Discovery’ Report, 31 123–298.Google Scholar
- Heydorn, A.E.F., 1959, “The Chaetognata off the West Coast of the Union of South Africa,” Division of Fisheries, Investigational Report, 36, 56 pp.Google Scholar
- Lutjeharms, J.R.E. and Valentine, H.R., 1980, H.R., 1980, “Ocean Circulation Studies in the Vicinity of Southern Africa: Preliminary Results Using FGGE Drifters and Remote Sensing,” COSPAR Symposium on Systems Performance and Early Results of the Global Observing Systems for FGGE, Budapest, 4–7 June 1980.Google Scholar
- Shannon, L.V., 1969, “Hydrology of the South and West Coast of South Africa,” Division of Sea Fisheries, Investigational Report, 58 52 pp.Google Scholar
- Shannon, L.V., 1979, “Upwelling Ecosystems,” South African Journal of Science, 75 (12), 547–548.Google Scholar
- Shannon, L.V., Nelson, G. and Jury, M.R., 1980, M.R., 1980, “Hydrological and Meteorological Aspects of Upwelling in the Southern Benguela Current,” Fourth International Symposium on Upwelling, Los Angeles, 4–8 February 1980.Google Scholar
- Visser, G.A., 1969, “Analysis of Atlantic Waters off the West Coast of Southern Africa,” Division of Sea Fisheries, Investigational Report, 75 26 pp.Google Scholar