The Effects of the Temperature-Dependence of Properties on the Thermal Stresses in Cylinders
It is usual to assume in thermal stress calculations that material properties are independent of temperature. Significant variations do however occur over the working temperature range of the “engineering ceramics”, particularly in the coefficient of thermal conductivity, k. (Godfrey1 has reported decreases of up to 45 per cent in the thermal conductivity of various samples of silicon nitride between 0 and 400 °C.) The question arises: what are the effects of these variations on the stress distributions in ceramic components?
KeywordsHeat Flux Thermal Stress Heat Flow Failure Probability Stress Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D.J. Godfrey, “A critical review of engineering ceramics relevant to their use in severe thermal environments”, Conference on Non-Metallic Materials for the Royal Navy, Manadon, Plymouth, (1975) 1Google Scholar
- 3.W. Ashcroft, “Mechanical properties of silicon nitride at elevated temperatures”, Proc. Brit. Ceram. Soc., 22, (1973) 169.Google Scholar
- 4.J.E. Restall and C.R. Gostellow, “A limited assessment of selected low-expansion coefficient ceramics with potential for high-temperature applications”, Proc. Brit. Ceram. Soc., 22, (1973) 89Google Scholar
- 5.P. Stanley, H. Fessler and A.D. Sivill, “An engineer’s approach to the prediction of failure probability of brittle components”. Proc. Brit. Ceram. Soc., 22, (1973) 453.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Stanley, A.D. Sivill and H. Fessler, “The application and confirmation of a predictive technique for the fracture of brittle components”, Proc. 5th International Conf. on Exptl. Stress Anal., Udine, (1974) 2. 42.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Stanley, A.D. Sivill and H. Fessler, “Applications of the four function Weibull equation in the design of brittle components”, Fracture Mechanics of Ceramics, Plenum Press, New York—London, Vol. 3 “Flaws and Testing”, (1978) 51.Google Scholar
- 9.PAFEC Note 76/1 “Variation of E and a with temperature”, University of Nottingham, (1976).Google Scholar