Effect of Spatial Variation of Thermal Conductivity on Magnitude of Tensile Thermal Stresses in Brittle Materials Subjected to Convective Heating
The results are presented for the effect of spatially varying thermal conductivity on the tensile thermal stress developed in a solid and a hollow circular cylinder subjected to different heating conditions. It is shown that the maximum tensile thermal stress in brittle ceramics can be reduced significantly by redistributing the temperature profile using (a) a spatial variation in thermal conductivity, (b) a spatial variation in pore content which in turn changes the density, thermal conductivity and modulus of elasticity and (c) by considering the effect of temperature on the thermal conductivity and specific heat. Possible methods for creating such variations in the material properties are discussed.
KeywordsThermal Conductivity Thermal Stress Biot Number Maximum Tensile Stress Pore Phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. P. H. Hasselman, Figures-of-Merit For the Thermal Stress Resistance of High-Temperature Brittle Materials: A Review, Ceramurgia, 4: 147 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.K. Satyamurthy, M. P. Kamat and D. P. H. Hasselman, Effect of Spatially Varying Thermal Conductivity on Magnitude of Thermal Stress in Brittle Ceramics Subjected to Convective Heating, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc., (in review)Google Scholar
- 5.K. Satyamurthy, J. P. Singh, M. P. Kamat and D. P. H. Hasselman, Thermal Stress Analysis of Brittle Ceramics With Density Gradients under Conditions of Transient Convective Heat Transfer, Trans. Brit. Ceram. Soc., (in review).Google Scholar
- 6.H. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger, “Conduction of Heat in Solids,” 2nd Ed., Oxford University Press, London (1959).Google Scholar
- 11.Y. S. Touloukian, R. W. Powell, C. Y. Ho and P. G. Klemens, Thermal Conductivity: Non-Metallic Solids (Thermophysical Properties of Matter, Vol. 2, p. 119, IFI) Plenum, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.Y. S. Touloukian and E. H. Buyco, Specific Heat: Non-Metallic Solids (Thermophysical Properties of Matter, Vol. 5, pp. 27–29, IFI) Plenum, New York (1970).Google Scholar